rooster torn hens neck

thebanthams

Songster
9 Years
Jun 12, 2010
Safford, Arizona
I came home from work to find my hens neck torn from behind combs down to about 4 inches and behind both her eyes!
She was able to blink her eyes. I cleaned her good and putting neosporin on her neck. Sounds like she will never have skin cover that spot? She is eating and eating fine. and is in a small pen for now. Anything I can do to make it better? Thanks
PS rooster is outta here !! I find it strange that he was not aggressive at all till now..

I came home from work to find my hens neck torn from behind combs down to about 4 inches and behind both her eyes!
She was able to blink her eyes. I cleaned her good and putting neosporin on her neck. Sounds like she will never have skin cover that spot? She is eating and eating fine. and is in a small pen for now. Anything I can do to make it better? Thanks
PS rooster is outta here !! I find it strange that he was not aggressive at all till now..
He is mating.Probably very aggressive,but he is.Either that or the hens made him mad about something.Is it bleeding?

strangely its not like bleeding, just dried blood. looks like he ate all the skin yuck ! Its possible the hen is a very bossy lady she is a Buff Orpington, the roo is a wheaten ameruacana.

Oh that looks pretty awful. How often are you putting Neosporin on it? There looks to be a lot of black skin on the wound. It may need some more care, cleaning it off with chlorhexadene or betadine. The ointment needs to be applied twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom