Rooster Trouble?

Foundlovefarms

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2019
Hi All

This is my first winter with my backyard flock (and first time with multiple roos) and need a bit of advice.

We have 10 birds, what we originally thought were 2 Roosters and 8 Hens. But the more I look at one of the girls, the more I think she is a he.

The two boys are from the same hatch and they have been raised together. Other than a bit of squabbling here and there, they are good with each other. To be one will put the other in place and they will leave each other alone.

Our newest roo is submissive and quiet. He is right around 5 months old. But from all of the signs with feathers, I am sadly convinced he is a rooster.

While closing up the coop tonight, we had a squabble. I found the newest roo under the top rooster. S/he (for lack of a better description) was under the top rooster and wasn't doing anything. However when I showed up, they parted ways and I noticed an injury to his comb (it looks like it is bleeding between the feathers and the comb at the back of his head).

(I've attached photos of the injury as well as the feathers - can someone confirm my suspicion that she is a he?)
IMG_20200210_175116.jpg
IMG_20200210_175116.jpg
IMG_20200210_175120.jpg
IMG_20200210_175122.jpg

Could this be from the squabble? What can we do?

We know, and are planning to, get more ladies for the flock as soon as the weather turns, as it's the middle of the coldest season here in Southern Ontario but maybe it can't wait?

Any advice would be great. Everyone is settled in and asleep for the night (I put the newest roo onto the roost and everyone seemed ok) so we at least have until morning.

With gratitude and grace,
Emily

Last edited:
That looks like a very beautiful cockerel. What breed? Looks like the comb injury is from the top cockerel. You are going to need to thin down on how many cockerels you have. Get rid of one of them. 3 cockerels with only 7 girls is a recipe for disaster. Even with 2 cockerels you are going to need 10 hens for each. They will literally fight to the death if they have the chance. The first 2 already have settled their pecking order, this new one is challenging their position, so they are going to attack him.

That looks like a very beautiful cockerel. What breed? Looks like the comb injury is from the top cockerel. You are going to need to thin down on how many cockerels you have. Get rid of one of them. 3 cockerels with only 7 girls is a recipe for disaster. Even with 2 cockerels you are going to need 10 hens for each. They will literally fight to the death if they have the chance. The first 2 already have settled their pecking order, this new one is challenging their position, so they are going to attack him.

Thanks, I knew the ratio was off, but hoping for better weather to address it.

He is an Easter Egger, we got him and 4 other ladies (all beautiful too!) at the end of the season and they have integrated well ... well until today.

Back
Top Bottom