rooster trouble

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nearlyfamous, Jan 31, 2011.

1. nearlyfamous

nearlyfamous New Egg

Jan 31, 2011
    Please help!! My husband and I rescued a young rooster in November (Henry). He follows me around and sings to me. Lately he has been pecking at me. My boots have a fringe of white fur around the top and Henry has started attacking my boots. I try to chase him away but he comes back for more. Is he feeling amorous towards me? Or does he not like the fur? What can I do to make him stop?
    He is our only chicken/rooster. Is he lonely? We have many other critters that he interacts with. We are new at this....any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Wendy

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Welcome to BYC. He needs a few hens. Good luck.

3. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    Awww... He is lucky that you rescued him!

Our rooster (also Henry!) started that with me. I just reached down quick and grabbed him and held him. Everytime he even got an aggresive look on his face I carried him around talking to him. He is so friendly now! My Henry does have 9 girls to keep him company. [​IMG]

Good luck. [​IMG]

4. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Yes, he's lonely. Chickens are flock birds. Get him a couple of girls! Literally!

5. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    sounds to me like you are ready for a couple of hens to take care of Henry. The more the merrier.

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Yep, he wants some hens. And [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  7. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

8. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC. The people here were great helping me get started over the summer. Feel free to visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find helpful or amusing.

It sounds like your rooster cannot behave normally due to a lack of hens. He may also be "imprinted" on you. (See this post for an interesting perspective).

You can also visit my Handling Rooster Aggression post, though the tips there may not be much help until the hens arrive. However the Mother Earth News link at the bottom might also give a useful viewpoint.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. [​IMG]

10. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG] Yes, I agree with others that Henry needs a couple honeys. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by