Rooster troubles

KCHenlover65

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2020
Hey guys, yesterday i had 2 hens get attacked by a couple young roosters in the mud. They were huddled in a corner with their backs to the flock. Tonight i was feeding and collecting eggs when 2 young roosters (4month olds) cornered one and were battling for breeding rights on rop of her. All she could do was scream until i got to her then she just layed on her side. I put her in my feed room by herself for now. Its between 2 coops with chicken wire as 2 walls so they can all see her but not get to her. She has a pretty ugly slice on her back near her tail and she's still covered in mud from yesterday. My question is how do i get all that mud off her and clean the wound? They've been plucking feathers from several of my hens. I just merged the young with my adults. Will def be separating the rooster from the rest now.

Attachments

• 20210608_201837.jpg
    20210608_201837.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210608_201831.jpg
    20210608_201831.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 5
You could try dabbing with a paper towel with warm water and maybe some hydrogen peroxide. Also how many Roos and hens do you have? Hope this helps
Thank you. So its ok to rinse it with water? I just looked and the injury is where the numbers and letters are on the picture. Its a pretty nasty wound. I have 7 adults and 17 4 month olds. I think i have 7 or 8 4 month old roosters. I have an adult black australorp rooster but he's worthless against the teenagers. Might yell or growl at them but it changes nothing.

Hey guys, yesterday i had 2 hens get attacked by a couple young roosters in the mud. They were huddled in a corner with their backs to the flock. Tonight i was feeding and collecting eggs when 2 young roosters (4month olds) cornered one and were battling for breeding rights on rop of her. All she could do was scream until i got to her then she just layed on her side. I put her in my feed room by herself for now. Its between 2 coops with chicken wire as 2 walls so they can all see her but not get to her. She has a pretty ugly slice on her back near her tail and she's still covered in mud from yesterday. My question is how do i get all that mud off her and clean the wound? They've been plucking feathers from several of my hens. I just merged the young with my adults. Will def be separating the rooster from the rest now.
Don't use Hydrogen Peroxide. It cauterises the small blood vessels and inhibits tissue regrowth.
Buy some Chlorhexidine and use that. You need to spray the wound with the chlorhexidine after cleaning the wound gently with warm water. Leave the chlorhexidine on the wound. It takes up to 24 hours to reach full effectiveness.
Do not attempt to bandage the wound. You can use triple antibiotic ointment if you have some applied to the wound.

Don't use Hydrogen Peroxide. It cauterises the small blood vessels and inhibits tissue regrowth.
Buy some Chlorhexidine and use that. You need to spray the wound with the chlorhexidine after cleaning the wound gently with warm water. Leave the chlorhexidine on the wound. It takes up to 24 hours to reach full effectiveness.
Do not attempt to bandage the wound. You can use triple antibiotic ointment if you have some applied to the wound.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom