Rooster trying to kill us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Hey everyone! I need some advice.

I have a 9 month old barred rock rooster who has never been quite nice. We used to have to go into the coop with a stick and now my chickens free range during the day and he attacks me and my husband when the hens run over to us. He's gotten us a few times very unexpectedly. I guess I kinda know what the answer will be, but other than this, he's a good rooster. He chased a hawk away the other day. Gets along with the bantam rooster. Doesn't pick on my turkey. Doesn't attack the goats or dogs, just me and my husband. The hens all listen and stay with him. He is fabulous protection.

Today he flew at my head and I had to throw my hot coffee at him, and then my BBW turkey got between us and got him away from me and then they got into a tussle. Last week I had to hit him with a plastic end table because he came at me and I had nothing nearby. I'm potty training a puppy right now and run out and forget to grab the rake on the porch and then I'm SOL.

I've had all of these chickens since March. I raised this rooster since he was days old and handled him a bunch. I am a vet tech and have been for 20 years, I'm kind of hardwired to help things and not hurt them, so this has been difficult to deal with.

Is there any undoing this? Any advice?View attachment 3371812View attachment 3371818
Look for an older one, as in over a year old. Any younger and they'll still be figuring out their hormones.
Look for an older one, as in over a year old. Any younger and they'll still be figuring out their hormones.
My grandmother told us about a rooster they had like that. She said it suddenly attacked her while she was getting the eggs one day. She came down to the house and told my grandfather. He didn’t believe her and said that rooster never hurt anyone. Then he went up to get the eggs himself. He never admitted it attacked him, but she said they had chicken for supper that night.

I have a 9 month old barred rock rooster who has never been quite nice. We used to have to go into the coop with a stick and now my chickens free range during the day and he attacks me and my husband when the hens run over to us. He's gotten us a few times very unexpectedly. I guess I kinda know what the answer will be, but other than this, he's a good rooster. He chased a hawk away the other day. Gets along with the bantam rooster. Doesn't pick on my turkey. Doesn't attack the goats or dogs, just me and my husband. The hens all listen and stay with him. He is fabulous protection.

Today he flew at my head and I had to throw my hot coffee at him, and then my BBW turkey got between us and got him away from me and then they got into a tussle. Last week I had to hit him with a plastic end table because he came at me and I had nothing nearby. I'm potty training a puppy right now and run out and forget to grab the rake on the porch and then I'm SOL.

I've had all of these chickens since March. I raised this rooster since he was days old and handled him a bunch. I am a vet tech and have been for 20 years, I'm kind of hardwired to help things and not hurt them, so this has been difficult to deal with.

Is there any undoing this? Any advice?View attachment 3371812View attachment 3371818
Here is what a farmer once told me and it has worked time and again. Roosters, especially young ones about 1.5 years old, go through a phase of sorts where they try to test their dominance in the pecking order. YOU have to be the bigger rooster, otherwise he'll keep chasing you. So, spread your arms wide and run at the rooster until he runs from you. You may have to do this a few times until he realized that you are bigger than he is, thus more dominant. I've been doing this with young and feisty cockerels for more than twenty years and it hasn't failed me yet. Good luck!

I could be going out on a limb here, but we had an aggressive rooster. I got tired of it, and every time he would come at me, I would try to catch him, and then cuddle him and hold him, basically showing him that I'm stronger than him, but also showering him with kindness. My husband however got attacked frequently and always fought back. I kind of felt like the rooster was looking for a fight, and since I wouldn't give him one, he left me alone. Just a thought.
So the rooster is still here and alive. I believe what you're describing is what was happening here. The first person he started to go after was my husband and my husband was fighting back. Then he started doing it to me. I feel like fighting us became a habit for him, being physical with us became a habit. After I posted this I started carrying a rake around. The first time I carried it I had to introduce him to the rake, very politely since then we haven't had issues. My husband carries the rake also. We're getting to the point where when we are not carrying it, he's been ok and doesn't show interest in us. I go in the coop at night and he's also been fine.

I told my husband I don't want him being physical with him at all. If you carry that rake he minds his business, he's too used to going after us and fighting. I'm hoping if we can get that to not be habitual anymore he will break this habit.

I've been very kind and respectful of him when I have to get close but I'm ready if need be since my trust has been violated so much 😆

Here he is being creepy and looking in my windows.

Attachments

• 20230114_125653.jpg
    20230114_125653.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 5

We hatched 3 chickens in the summer one born 3 weeks before the other two. We knew the oldest was a rooster but thought the other two were hens. Turns out all three were roosters. They were aggressive and the social hierarchy of the flock was thrown all out of whack. The two youngest roosters were aggressive toward the females (9 of them) and the constant mounting by all three roosters was causing the hens much stress. We got rid of the two youngest roosters and kept the oldest, who is fairly good with the hens and not aggressive toward us, (he runs away from us). The change in the flock was palpable, it calmed down that day and they started laying eggs again, we were down to 3-4 a week. We got 6 eggs in one day in the last week which is something we haven't seen since late fall. The remaining rooster (Thor) has been very good with the girls and we don't regret keeping him. The other two became food for wandering animals on the property. As sad and stressed I was about having to cull them, it was the best decision for our flock.

That said, I have seen where people will straddle and hold the rooster down to assert their authority over them. We never had to do this so I can't speak to that but you could probably Pinterest ways to assert dominance over your roosters.

Stew pot

so I have 5 roosters. I was fortunate to be working at home so handle d them every day. he instinct is to protect. my one rooster will still attack me at times it's managing that days behavior.
if he is difficult, I would handle him at night, stroke his feathers, give a treat.. he was much better until a pet sitter abused him horribly! then his bad behavior started again. I'm not sure if anyone else is in contact with your flock but my advice would be, when you see him side glancing to approach, grab him. hold him and go about the coop business. you can tuck his head under your arm a bit also. he needs to see you as Alpha and part of the flock. I know it's not ideal time wise if you work but I have found, the more I invest in being a part of the flock the happier they all are. it may not be realistic for you, but I love ALL my boys. their value is huge to me. they have warned my girls a few times and kept them safe by keeping in front of them and making so much noise I would hear and run out knowing their calls now. good luck! I know it's so hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom