Rooster trying to mate underage pullets- help??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by katelk, Aug 25, 2013.

1. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    The pullets are all English Orpingtons 9-10 weeks old and the roo is a silkie/cochin mix about 8months or so old.
    The pullets are not done growing, but are almost all just about his same size at this point with 2-3 still being obviously smaller.
    I know this roo is probably at the "hormonal teen" stage which may be accounting for this behavior, but I am just wondering if these pullets are too young to be around him. He tries his "gentleman dance" non stop when he is around them through the fence, but as soon as he can get in person he jumps on anyone he can catch. It is a horrible scene and I don't want any of the girls to get hurt being so young. I have been keeping them separate since the first incident. I can just tell he poor roo is going nuts and am wondering when it will be safe to allow them together. After periods of dancing at them through the fence he goes and lays with his face in a corner of his coop and growls and grumbles for awhile before coming out and trying some more. No idea what that behavior is lol. It seems like he has to go pout.
    Thanks for any advice!!

2. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I think you are doing the right thing by separating them until they are much older. The roo could unintentionally hurt the hens. Especially since they are so young.

My roo rides my hens non-stop and he has his favorites. I feel sorry for them sometimes but he hasn't injured any of them yet so I have left him to his devices. Some of the hens have gotten smart and they run when they see him coming. It is kind of comical. I have two roos, The NH Red is the dominant one and he does all the mating. The Partridge Cochin is just starting to crow. I think he will challenge the other one soon. At least for one or two hens of his own.

Good luck with your hens!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I raise pullets in with my roosters and have never had a rooster try to mate a pullet so young. My guys wait until the combs turn red, maybe not laying yet but definitely hitting maturity. A rooster that did what you're saying would have a really bad day at my place, and I'd have dinner!

At 8 months, he should be over the worst of the hormone flush and settling down. Has he had access to hens before? I don't think he'll actually injure them, it's more about good rooster behavior. Thou shalt not mate a non-fertile hen. That includes broodies and molting hens as well as teens. If you're determined to keep him, I'd keep him separate for another few months. And seriously reconsider any possible future chicks from him, he's not good genetic material to pass on.

4. katelk

katelk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN

That's the thing, we got him when he was 6 weeks old and until now he had been more of a "pet" and our only bird. He has NEVER seen other birds before, much less ladies. I am sure I screwed up on that part, but what's done is done at this point. He is a very well behaved rooster. He still loves sitting in my lap and getting scratched, etc. I am sorry if this is in poor taste, but it seriously seems like he is literally going insane to get laid :rolleyes:
    The other day my husband dropped his hat in the yard while the roo was free-ranging nearby, it is his new surrogate mate for now.... Lol :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by