Rooster trying to teach my dog to attack

Quote:
First,
welcome-byc.gif

In my opinion the rooster is just being a rooster. He see's the dog as a threat as well he should. Some of them learn that the farm dog is not a threat, other's never get it. If he insists on going after your dog until the dog feels forced to defend himself then I'd either pen the rooster or rehome him. You are lucky to have a good dog who is good with the chickens. Don't want to mess that up.

As far as his threatening posturing with you. Again, normal roo behavior. If all he does is posture but doesn't attack and moves out of the way when you push by him then I'd call it a good day! If he's young he may ramp up this behavior into actually attacking you in his attempt to show you that he is boss. Especially when you try to handle the hens. Don't let him get away with it or it will get worse!

A lot of roo's are mean, nasty creatures that end up in the stew pot. There's also plenty that are good roosters, good to their hens, learn to be decent around the humans and are just good at their job. That's the kind I have but it took a little training! Then there are a few that are actually friendly with people and don't mind attention, petting etc. But in general, no, I don't usual expect a roo to be a cuddler.

One thing I think you should rethink, is saying if the dog kills the rooster he may get a kick out of killing and start in on the hens. I would say if he did kill the rooster he just may see the problem solved and be the same dog he's always been. He knows where the trouble comes from. I believe from all I've read I must be very lucky. My dog and the rooster walk around together. No trouble at all.

I'd get rid of the rooster, they're easy to replace. I've had a few roosters and they have NEVER tried to attack my chicken-friendly dog. My dog is the best rooster I have right now - she works hard at all hours to keep the predators away. I don't know what I'll do without her when she gets old, and she's already 8. I've never had an over-aggressive rooster towards us or the dog, so I wouldn't put up with it. There are such nice, handsome, gentlemanly roosters out there that deserve a nice home.

Get rid of the rooster. Sorry. My roosters(I have 3 can be turds once in awhile) But they love my dogs and goats. Any rooster that does that is bad news.

Thanks everyone! I just put an ad on Craigslist for a free dog-attacking rooster. Don't know if I'll get any takers but it's worth a shot.

Are you planning on raising chicks by your roo, or are you just getting one as a protector?

I think the Brahmas are gorgeous and usually really sweet. If mixed breed chicks are ok with you, just shop around until you find a roo you really like. I had a beautiful EE roo that would take on anything, I even saw him hover over a pack of chicks when a cat came by. So cute to see him defending chicks that weren't 'his.'

Good luck in your search of the perfect roo!

I would start with a chick so maybe it could see the dog is a friend and not an enemy. But if you are wanting to get a grown roo please be sure to quarantine him before introducing him into your flock - you don't want the roo to bring illness to your girls!

Your dog sounds awesome - that roo has got to go before he hurts the dog or makes the dog fight back and ruins the wonderful setup you have now!

Done! I found the perfect home for that rooster... 20 hens, no dogs and a proud new owner. Now, the search begins for the perfect rooster. Thanks for all your advise!

You anywhere near montana? I have at least 5 baby roos out of my bantam partridge cochin and bantam mottled cochin. Figured I would ask lol they need a new home.

Thanks for the offer skillswife... unfortunately, I'm about 1,000 miles from you in Portland, Oregon.

Back
Top Bottom