Rooster trying to teach my dog to attack

Hi winky, just spotted this thread on the verge of becoming inactive, but thought I'd respond because it's a topic that interests me. First off, RIR roosters have a bad rep - of all of the breeds described on Henderson's list (check it up on Google if you haven't seen it, it's a wonderful introduction to the huge variety between chicken breeds) only the game breeds get a worse write up for the temperament of their males. Our very first roo was part RIR (with an alleged touch of Araucana in there too) and was a demon. So I reckon you were off to a bad start with the breed of your roo. Second, I think everyone's advice to rear a roo from young is spot on. We currently have 10 birds, 3 of which we've hand-reared from egg, the others from ages ranging from 1 day to 5 weeks. Even though 5 weeks is relatively young, there is a huge difference in friendliness between the birds we reared from egg (one of which is a male) and the birds we got when 3 or 5 weeks old. Finally, I think that there is the potential in all roosters for unreasonable aggression. It's something embedded deep in the nature of chickens - the mating system of junglefowl, from which chickens are descended, is one of harem polygyny, in which fights between males competing for access to breeding females are routine. Even with breeds that are extolled by many for their good natures, like Brahmas, Welsummers, Faverolles and Orpingtons, you don't have to look very hard to find someone who has had a bad experience with roosters of that breed. That said, I think you'll be maximising your chances of acquiring a friendly rooster if you raise a male chick of one of these breeds from as young an age as possible, preferably from egg (which would give it the opportunity to bond closely with both you and your dog).

Good luck!

Mark

I agree. Stew pot the roo and get a young one. My RIR roo is BAD! The only reason he hasn't went to the freezer is because he is absolutely gorgeous! He picks on my daughter and any other little one who dare enter his territory, but isn't dumb enough to mess with the dogs. He doesn't mess with me or my husband because he has flown quite far at the end of both of our feet. I would be SO worried that my dog would get a taste for chicken blood in your situation. I have a Black Astraulorp (sp) and a Barred Rock that are perfectly nice and get along fine.

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback. I followed your advise... rehomed the RIR (to a person who knew why he had to go) and bought an 8 week old Welsummer. Can't wait for him to start crowing. So far, he has shown no interest at all in the dog, just keeps clear of him.

big_smile.png
That's great!! Hope the new roo gets along better. We have a SL Wyandotte Roo that ignores the dog, but finds my kids and chases them every chance he gets! If he can't behave, he may have to hit the stew pot! He is just soooo pretty. We got him at 16 wks with a bunch of hens, and he would ruffle his feathers, and on occasion charge the fence, but now he attacks. Unfortunately my boys being young and innocent thought he was picking on the hens as he caught one and did his duty....sooo they tried to save the hen from him and the game was on. I have warned them to leave him alone, but only time will tell I don't want to get rid of him!

I have a Black Jersey Giant rooster, He WILL attack my german shepherd hard, if she start to play with him.
She will try to playing with rooster, and my rooster didnt LIKE IT AT ALL. he's all ******. I got a video of it.
its kinda funny, but poor rooster.
my dog wont kill chickens, she never killed one before.
she only will pin the chicken down to make it stay till i pick them up, i told her STOP that. LET THEM GO, she will let it go.
pretty BRAT dog. LOL
I still love her.
also i love my rooster.

Back
Top Bottom