1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster turns blue when stressed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChelseysChicken, Nov 23, 2014.

1. ChelseysChicken

ChelseysChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    I have had this white oegb rooster for a week since day one has turned blue in the comb waddles Earlobes when stresses / handled/ transported. What could it be?

2. ChelseysChicken

ChelseysChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    North TX
    Heart condition?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be that he has a heart proble or a breathing problem. If he is molting, that be be more stressful, too. I notice my head rooster has been doingthat at times this week, and he has been molting lately. As long as it pinks up when he is not stressed, I would just watch him. Make sure that he has not mites or lice on him, and I would also worm him with Valbazen 1/8 to 1/4 ml given orally, then repeat it in 10 days.

1 person likes this.
  4. cmlew99

cmlew99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Massachusetts
    My buff orpington rooster does the same thing. If I pick up one of my hens and carry her out of the run his comb will have a bluish tinge on the edges. He's been doing it since he's grown a comb, and everything else seems fine about him.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by