Rooster unable to keep balance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Thames, May 26, 2016.

1. Thames

Thames Just Hatched

May 25, 2016
    Rutherfordton, NC
    [​IMG]

My rooster got sick 6 days ago so I gave him wormer, penicillin, and plenty of fluids. He won't eat so I've been force feeding him wet cat food. He sleeps all day. His lungs sound clear. His stool is liquid and sometimes light green. His comb goes from red to black sometimes. He can't walk without stumbling and dropping a wing to catch himself. It is almost as if he got a fever and it made him retarded. Is it possible he has fowl cholera? I really don't want to put my hens down because of that.

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Fowl Cholera

Synonyms: avian pasteurellosis, cholera, avian hemorrhagic septicemia
    Species affected: Domestic fowl of all species (primarily turkeys and chickens), game birds (especially pheasants and ducks), cage birds, wild birds, and birds in zoological collections and aviaries are susceptible.

Clinical signs: Fowl cholera usually strikes birds older than 6 weeks of age. In acute outbreaks, dead birds may be the first sign. Fever, reduced feed consumption, mucoid discharge from the mouth, ruffled feathers, diarrhea, and labored breathing may be seen. As the disease progresses birds lose weight, become lame from joint infections, and develop rattling noises from exudate in air passages. As fowl cholera becomes chronic, chickens develop abscessed wattles and swollen joints and foot pads. Caseous exudate may form in the sinuses around the eyes. Turkeys may have twisted necks (see Table 3).

Transmission: Multiple means of transmission have been demonstrated. Flock additions, free-flying birds, infected premises, predators, and rodents are all possibilities.

Treatment: A flock can be medicated with a sulfa drug (sulfonamides, especially sulfadimethoxine, sulfaquinonxalene, sulfamethazine, and sulfaquinoxalene) or vaccinated, or both, to stop mortality associated with an outbreak. It must be noted, however, that sulfa drugs are not FDA approved for use in pullets older than 14 weeks or for commercial laying hens. Sulfa drugs leave residues in meat and eggs. Antibiotics can be used, but require higher levels and long term medication to stop the outbreak.

Prevention: On fowl cholera endemic farms, vaccination is advisable. Do not vaccinate for fowl cholera unless you have a problem on the farm. Rodent control is essential to prevent future outbreaks.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/38433/what-diseases-of-poultry-are-reportable

1 person likes this.
  3. Thames

Thames Just Hatched

May 25, 2016
    Rutherfordton, NC
    Thank you 0wen. I think I may have to put him and the hens down in that case[​IMG] I'm getting a lot of pullets soon and I can't risk it.

4. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Check with your local state vet if you do. Often, they'll perform a necropsy for free. It'd let you know for certain what it is...

1 person likes this.
  5. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    My rooster is doing the same thing I gave him chick starter and save a chick vitamins for 2 days and this morning he was up walking around. Hope yours get better!

1 person likes this.
  6. Thames

Thames Just Hatched

May 25, 2016
    Rutherfordton, NC
    I'm happy for you. Mine is just going downhill. Makes me sad, but I don't want my cats to get sick either.

7. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    Sorry. Can your cats get sick from your rooster??

1 person likes this.
  8. Thames

Thames Just Hatched

May 25, 2016
    Rutherfordton, NC
    The vet said yes but not to worry about it because a shot would take care of it. I'm taking Bilbo Baggins (the rooster) in for a necropsy now.

9. Thames

Thames Just Hatched

May 25, 2016
    Rutherfordton, NC
    He is gone :( Thanks for answering my questions!
    The vet said that in the future if they are sick for 3+ days to put them down.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your state vet can do a necropsy to find a cause of death. Mareks disease might be a possibility. Was he vaccinated? Sorry for your loss. What made you think it was fowl cholera? There are many diseases and conditions that can cause weakness or lameness. He could have eaten something toxic. Dehydration can even cause that. Sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by