Rooster unable to keep balance

Thames

In the Brooder
May 25, 2016
Rutherfordton, NC

My rooster got sick 6 days ago so I gave him wormer, penicillin, and plenty of fluids. He won't eat so I've been force feeding him wet cat food. He sleeps all day. His lungs sound clear. His stool is liquid and sometimes light green. His comb goes from red to black sometimes. He can't walk without stumbling and dropping a wing to catch himself. It is almost as if he got a fever and it made him retarded. Is it possible he has fowl cholera? I really don't want to put my hens down because of that.

Fowl Cholera

Synonyms: avian pasteurellosis, cholera, avian hemorrhagic septicemia
Species affected: Domestic fowl of all species (primarily turkeys and chickens), game birds (especially pheasants and ducks), cage birds, wild birds, and birds in zoological collections and aviaries are susceptible.

Clinical signs: Fowl cholera usually strikes birds older than 6 weeks of age. In acute outbreaks, dead birds may be the first sign. Fever, reduced feed consumption, mucoid discharge from the mouth, ruffled feathers, diarrhea, and labored breathing may be seen. As the disease progresses birds lose weight, become lame from joint infections, and develop rattling noises from exudate in air passages. As fowl cholera becomes chronic, chickens develop abscessed wattles and swollen joints and foot pads. Caseous exudate may form in the sinuses around the eyes. Turkeys may have twisted necks (see Table 3).

Transmission: Multiple means of transmission have been demonstrated. Flock additions, free-flying birds, infected premises, predators, and rodents are all possibilities.

Treatment: A flock can be medicated with a sulfa drug (sulfonamides, especially sulfadimethoxine, sulfaquinonxalene, sulfamethazine, and sulfaquinoxalene) or vaccinated, or both, to stop mortality associated with an outbreak. It must be noted, however, that sulfa drugs are not FDA approved for use in pullets older than 14 weeks or for commercial laying hens. Sulfa drugs leave residues in meat and eggs. Antibiotics can be used, but require higher levels and long term medication to stop the outbreak.

Prevention: On fowl cholera endemic farms, vaccination is advisable. Do not vaccinate for fowl cholera unless you have a problem on the farm. Rodent control is essential to prevent future outbreaks.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/38433/what-diseases-of-poultry-are-reportable

The vet said yes but not to worry about it because a shot would take care of it. I'm taking Bilbo Baggins (the rooster) in for a necropsy now.

Your state vet can do a necropsy to find a cause of death. Mareks disease might be a possibility. Was he vaccinated? Sorry for your loss. What made you think it was fowl cholera? There are many diseases and conditions that can cause weakness or lameness. He could have eaten something toxic. Dehydration can even cause that. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom