Rooster unable to walk

Kaiyafitness

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have a silkie rooster, about 10 months old I think, who has recently had a few issues. It started out I noticed when he was eating his food with the other chickens he would kind of lay down, but then he was happy to run around and be normal, within a few days he became a bit more lame, and then one day very quickly declined and was losing balance, kept falling
over, so I got him inside and isolated him.
I’ve had deaths caused by worms in my Flock in the past so it was the first thing I had suspected, quickly after isolating him I noticed there were live worms in his poo, so I gave him the correct dosage of ivermectin. About 24 hours after I wormed him I let him into an isolated area to have a peck around and be in the sun and he seemed to have improved a lot, was crowing and walking around (eating/ drinking normally), and checked his poo which had dead worms in. I continued to isolate him and for 3 days he was quickly improving and almost got to normal and then within the space of a few hours just rapidly declined and I found him laying on his side unable to properly walk. I kept him inside from here on. Now today (about 3 days after this happened) he is unable to walk, when he does try he falls over and lays to his side (often with a wing out), he can stand still though. After doing some research I suspected it could be a vitamin deficiency maybe caused by the worms? Since then I have been using polyaid plus and vitamin complex via syringe and water, 2 times a day and also encouraging him to eat (which he will eat a lot). Please could someone guide me in the right direction of his care, he seems very lively and not lethargic he’s just unable to balance and walk. I’d appreciate any advice and thoughts ! Thank you

I’ve attached a photo of his poo 24 hours after the worming Incase that could be be beneficial

Attachments

• 27474BB9-0F2C-47E3-B19E-16DCB4D41676.jpeg
    27474BB9-0F2C-47E3-B19E-16DCB4D41676.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 6

Jaxx2

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2021
Marek's disease could be a possibility.

I've just gone through something almost identical to your situation, started with worms, loss of balance then got to the point where my rooster couldn't walk anymore.

10 months is a little old for symptoms to be just showing up. But I've heard something like worms could trigger symptoms.

Is he vaccinated? Continue to separate him as mareks is highly contagious. Do a little research and see if any more of his symptoms match with mareks.
I hope this helps.

Kaiyafitness

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2021
Marek's disease could be a possibility.

I've just gone through something almost identical to your situation, started with worms, loss of balance then got to the point where my rooster couldn't walk anymore.

10 months is a little old for symptoms to be just showing up. But I've heard something like worms could trigger symptoms.

Is he vaccinated? Continue to separate him as mareks is highly contagious. Do a little research and see if any more of his symptoms match with mareks.
I hope this helps.
Thank you for your response,

I have considered mareks however with the paralysis side of things he is still able to kick when I pick him up and flap his wings which I wouldn’t expect if they were paralysed?

if you don’t mind me asking did your rooster get through this or unfortunately not?
And no he is not vaccinated

Jaxx2

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2021
Thank you for your response,

I have considered mareks however with the paralysis side of things he is still able to kick when I pick him up and flap his wings which I wouldn’t expect if they were paralysed?

if you don’t mind me asking did your rooster get through this or unfortunately not?
And no he is not vaccinated
I kept my rooster going for 2 months until he stopped eating and was in pain.
Even until the very end he could move his left leg and wing to some extent. Not to the extent where he could flap or kick. But mareks does progress.
One of the first things I noticed with my rooster is that his eyes were foggy and one eyelid was more open then the other.

If you don't notice any of these things, and he doesn't seem to get worse in the next few days I doubt the problem is mareks.

Last edited:

Kaiyafitness

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2021
I kept my rooster going for 2 months until he stopped eating and was in pain.
Even until the very end he could move his left leg and wing to some extent. Not to the extent where he could flap or kick. But mareks does progress.
One of the first things I noticed with my rooster is that his eyes were foggy and one eyelid was more open then the other.

If you don't notice any of these things, and he doesn't seem to get worse in the next few days I doubt the problem is mareks.
Okay thank you for that! I’ve checked his eyes and they are normal, I’ve also tried to have a look at his skin which seemed normal.

the base of the actually feather seems to be red though, I’m not sure what that means? And he’s eating and drinking really well still

thank you for your help

Top Bottom