Rooster vs. Kitten

Kelly Klumpp

Chirping
Oct 23, 2020
Virginia
We have 1 chicken which is free-range, and recently got a small kitten. The chicken is not quite mature yet-- has not crowed or laid eggs yet, so we are not quite sure of the gender. it does have a sizable comb. the chicken was at first very afraid of the kitten, so after 1-2 failed attempts at introductions, we let them be. the next day, the chicken sneaked up on the kitten who had its back to the chicken and scared the kitten very badly. the same day, the kitten was playing under the bushes, and I saw the chicken coming up. I imagined they would establish a semi-pecking order so I thought I would not interfere until things escalated, but still watched warily, as the kitten is not old enough to fight/play back. the chicken took two or three jabs at the kitten with its beak, all which the kitten dodged-- still under the bush. then the kitten dashed out, with the rooster at hot pursuit. then I got scared enough to step in and take the kitten to the garage where if the rooster came in there were plenty of spaces the kitten could run to.

I am not sure what to do. Should I separate them and not let either out of my sight, or is this normal behavior for both parts?

Poultry and felines DO NOT get along! That rooster could easily kill that kitten if he gets ahold of it and it’s trapped... and when the kitten gets older instinct will take over and it will want to eat the rooster. I would not raise them together or let them have anything to do with each other. Just a generally bad idea.
thank you for your feedback. its definitely something I have to consider-- I don't want harm coming to either of them!

We have 1 chicken which is free-range, and recently got a small kitten. The chicken is not quite mature yet-- has not crowed or laid eggs yet, so we are not quite sure of the gender. it does have a sizable comb. the chicken was at first very afraid of the kitten, so after 1-2 failed attempts at introductions, we let them be. the next day, the chicken sneaked up on the kitten who had its back to the chicken and scared the kitten very badly. the same day, the kitten was playing under the bushes, and I saw the chicken coming up. I imagined they would establish a semi-pecking order so I thought I would not interfere until things escalated, but still watched warily, as the kitten is not old enough to fight/play back. the chicken took two or three jabs at the kitten with its beak, all which the kitten dodged-- still under the bush. then the kitten dashed out, with the rooster at hot pursuit. then I got scared enough to step in and take the kitten to the garage where if the rooster came in there were plenty of spaces the kitten could run to.

I am not sure what to do. Should I separate them and not let either out of my sight, or is this normal behavior for both parts?
Do you only have a single chicken?

It is natural for them to be rivals, but..... you can help them and teach them. It is possible.
I have been doing it since my rooster was an egg. LOL

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 9
It is natural for them to be rivals, but..... you can help them and teach them. It is possible.
I have been doing it since my rooster was an egg. LOL
Is your rooster a lone bird? Just wondering. If so, same thing applies. ;)
Yes, get more. At least two more. 1 to two isn’t a flock. Three is the lowest number that actually is a flock.

Back
Top Bottom