Question about raising an abandoned kitten around an established flock ... can it be done?

Bertie-Merle

Songster
Dec 21, 2022
Southeast Texas
I just found a baby kitten in my chicken coop ... I have no idea how it found it's way there, but I now know why my Blue Heeler (ACD) went wild and barking, not like Hank, when I let him into the chicken paddock tonight for "put up time". I couldn't figure out why the girls didn't want to go in at sunset. Well, I don't really like cats, but it's too cute and sooo tiny ... I'm thinking it's about four weeks old. So, me, like an idiot, crawled through the door to my expansion run and grabbed the kitten and put it in a crate and brought it inside to give it some food and water. Okay, now I'm sucked into this poor little thing. Soooo ... my Australian Cattle Dog is having to learn how to deal with a "BABY", and "Johnny" the Pembroke Corgi is pizzzzed, and I'm wondering if this can work with seven mature chickens?

Obviously, if I keep this little fuzzy critter, it has to get immediate shots at a vet and be checked out and wormed. That said, does anyone have any advice on whether a kitten at this age can be acclimated to chicken life, while maybe scaring the BAD critters away from under my barn and shed?

Aww! Why can't I ever find kittens?! 😭🤣🤣 lol jk. But yes! It can be done!
YOU, "ChickenMama", are too frigging funny!

The absolute rarity of abandoned kittens and doggies in this world is just amazing!

I know I'm a fool for wanting to take this one in. I don't know why it touched me. I'm sure I'll be be-atching about it soon! ; -)))

I just found a baby kitten in my chicken coop ... I have no idea how it found it's way there, but I now know why my Blue Heeler (ACD) went wild and barking, not like Hank, when I let him into the chicken paddock tonight for "put up time". I couldn't figure out why the girls didn't want to go in at sunset. Well, I don't really like cats, but it's too cute and sooo tiny ... I'm thinking it's about four weeks old. So, me, like an idiot, crawled through the door to my expansion run and grabbed the kitten and put it in a crate and brought it inside to give it some food and water. Okay, now I'm sucked into this poor little thing. Soooo ... my Australian Cattle Dog is having to learn how to deal with a "BABY", and "Johnny" the Pembroke Corgi is pizzzzed, and I'm wondering if this can work with seven mature chickens?

Obviously, if I keep this little fuzzy critter, it has to get immediate shots at a vet and be checked out and wormed. That said, does anyone have any advice on whether a kitten at this age can be acclimated to chicken life, while maybe scaring the BAD critters away from under my barn and shed?
I haven't acclimated a kitten to chickens myself, but I can vouch for frequent exposure on both sides working out. We adopted an indoor kitten when we had toddlers and little kids in abundance. The grown cat now happily partakes in kid zoomies, inserts herself into child laps for cuddles, and seeks out their noise and activity, even just to take a huge catnap in the middle of child chaos.

If my intent was to get a kitten used to chickens, I'd be taking kitten out for treats in the chicken yard (treats for the chickens too!) and getting them both used to sight and smell. Exposure, exposure, exposure. Maybe kitten can spend some crated outside time with them (good old look but no touch) for extra time when you can't take it out for visits. Kitten should learn chickens aren't prey due to their size and eventual lack of fear. Once they are all essentially bored/non-reactive to one another, you're well on your way.

I'd mostly be careful of roosters, chicks, and any non-controlled exposure until you hit that nice bored/status-quo stage.

YOU, "ChickenMama", are too frigging funny!

The absolute rarity of abandoned kittens and doggies in this world is just amazing!

I know I'm a fool for wanting to take this one in. I don't know why it touched me. I'm sure I'll be be-atching about it soon! ; -)))
I have a cat that is like 12 years old, he is bonded like major to our marrema. Was raised next to the coop in a shasta trailer we have as a feral kitten.
He is friends to the chickens.
Peeps he will kill.

I haven't acclimated a kitten to chickens myself, but I can vouch for frequent exposure on both sides working out. We adopted an indoor kitten when we had toddlers and little kids in abundance. The grown cat now happily partakes in kid zoomies, inserts herself into child laps for cuddles, and seeks out their noise and activity, even just to take a huge catnap in the middle of child chaos.

If my intent was to get a kitten used to chickens, I'd be taking kitten out for treats in the chicken yard (treats for the chickens too!) and getting them both used to sight and smell. Exposure, exposure, exposure. Maybe kitten can spend some crated outside time with them (good old look but no touch) for extra time when you can't take it out for visits. Kitten should learn chickens aren't prey due to their size and eventual lack of fear. Once they are all essentially bored/non-reactive to one another, you're well on your way.

I'd mostly be careful of roosters, chicks, and any non-controlled exposure until you hit that nice bored/status-quo stage.
Great advice, CoopBoots, and I thank you for taking the time and thoughtfulness to reply ... your insights on your munchkins is really funny! So, I think what I'm hearing is "supervised exposure" is the key. I just don't have the heart to turn away another abused animal when the shelters are so frigging overwhelmed. Thanks for your advice, I'm going to try all of your suggestions ... and God Bless!

My cats don't pay my chickens any mind. They even taken my cats food and the cat just walks away.All my animals are kind to one another.Its all in how you raise them.
Wow. That's good to hear. So, I have good hopes that this little critter can figure out that the Rhode Island Reds and Wyandotts and Easter Eggers aren't to be messed with, and that the little one should just try to get along? ; -)

My inside cats have outdoor catios attached to our house and the only time they're around the chickens is when ones brought inside for medical treatment(wire crate) They don't like things that peck and scratch them lol

My inside cats have outdoor catios attached to our house and the only time they're around the chickens is when ones brought inside for medical treatment(wire crate) They don't like things that peck and scratch them lol
Well, I don't really like cats either, but when a small animal is in need of help, well I feel different about that.

Back
Top Bottom