Rooster vs. predator

Wyatt0224

Chirping
Mar 1, 2016
Westminster, Maryland
Hello everyone! I live in a very predator rich environment from coyotes, foxes, Hawks, owls, mink, raccoon and many more. I have a friend who told me that a coyote took 3 of her chickens in 15 minutes. On a separate occasion another was killed by a mink. This is my first year having chickens and I have a RIR rooster. I want to know how effective he will be in defending my hens. I know he will fight to th death but how effective would he be against a fox or owl? Could he win and save my hens as well as survive? Soon I will be going back to school and away from my chickens for almost all day and I want to know how helpful he will be.

Your rooster can whip something like a small hawk going after hens on ground. Will not do well at night against anything and with other predators at during day.

Last edited:
In the event of an active predator attack, he'll give his life so that your hens can flee to safety. Roosters are more like guard dogs than attack dogs - against all but the most hapless predators, they'll likely be lost.

Raccoons aren't likely to kill active chickens during the day, but will get setting hens. Dogs, foxes, and coyotes can wipe out your entire flock in a very short time during the daytime! Hawks will take one bird every day or three. Raccoons and weasels will kill everyone overnight while they are roosting. Your cocks may die first, but that's not going to save your flock on a bad day. Predator protection, ESPECIALLY at night, is your job. Having a safe coop and run is vital.. Some of us free range during the day, and some don't. Mary

If they aren't safe, then they need to be in a secure run or at least securely fenced backyard with lots of cover to hide under. Having a good attentive rooster will help deter hawk attacks but its never 100%

Back
Top Bottom