Rooster walking with tail down in the rain?

ohnoicantfly

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Canada
Hello! It was raining on and off all day where I live a couple days ago and it started when my chickens were free ranging so they got caught in it and ran for the coop. While they were running around however, my rooster had his tail down. As soon as it stopped raining, he stopped walking with his tail down and was normal. He wasn't acting strange or anything, just walking with his tail down. Is there a reason for this?

A wet chicken is a cold chicken. A cold chicken is an unhappy and uncomfortable chicken. A wet, cold chicken can easily become hypothermic and it can be life threatening. Any chicken displaying their tail down low and flat is waving a red flag that their health may be in danger and that they are feeling unwell.

A wet chicken is a cold chicken. A cold chicken is an unhappy and uncomfortable chicken. A wet, cold chicken can easily become hypothermic and it can be life threatening. Any chicken displaying their tail down low and flat is waving a red flag that their health may be in danger and that they are feeling unwell.
But why was it only him? Is he just sensitive?

On a clear day my rooster,Carl....my only bird (I swore I would never own a bird)...a friend offered to give him away on facebook....every person that replied made some reference to eating him in some way or another (I am a self appointed protector of all animals)...Holy Shite...I cry over ASPCA adds and frequently send them $100 (hope they are responsible with their funds)...SO...this being a GOOD friend the arrangement was made and found myself with a bouncing 4 month old baby boy.....er....rooster...Carl ! Why no one told me how fantastic of a pet a rooster was is beyond me......
He is the best pet you could ever want...funny, animated, very cartoon-like...I absolutely love this rooster....back to my rooster tale...Carl was in the yard doing what he does....constantly rooting around for bugs...(It's Florida...so there's never a shortage)
Suddenly it began to rain...very hard..very unexpected....Carl seemed to panic and started to run back and forth across the yard at full tilt...all the while I'm calling him loudly....Carl ignoring my calls to come to the large covered back deck, where he was comfortable and slept most of the time....after a few minutes of this back and forth running....Carl stopped and froze...motionless..just standing in the pouring rain...wouldn't budge....finally I had to walk up to him....pick him up and carry him to the shelter of my backyard deck....he continued to act strangely for about 15 minutes or so....then he was completely fine....any thoughts on this behavior? Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902_060504_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_060504_Video Player.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 2
Carl was learning rain is wet and feels like something attacking him, and he now associates it with unpleasant sensations. I am almost certain Carl will run for cover at the next rain drop he feels.

Back
Top Bottom