Rooster went above and beyond

Ryguy3684

Here comes the Rooster
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2020
Fauquier County, Virginia, United States.
Usually, red tailed hawks don't bother my flock because my 10lb. Buff orpington rooster is bigger than them, and very vigilant. One must have been very hungry, and able to hide well in the tree. He flew down and attacked one of my hens. I heard a lot of commotion and ran outside. What I saw was awesome. My rooster was on top and the hawk was attempting to escape. When he finally got free, the injured hawk stumbled up to a tree and eventually flew away. My hen and rooster didn't have a scratch on them. I don't know if he died, or learned his lesson, but I haven't seen him in a few weeks. I'm proud of my big guy, who's been enjoying extra treats for his good work.

10 Pounds? And Agile enough to fight a Hawk and Win? I have seen and held 10-15 pounds worth of Brahma on my hands, but a Buff Orps? They seem to be quite shorter...
We bred him from our big rooster and largest hen and got lucky. He's a tall guy compared to the rest. The hen is unusually tall for a BO. He still hops up on my shoulder from the ground and dwarfs most of the flock.

Last edited:
Usually, red tailed hawks don't bother my flock because my 10lb. Buff orpington rooster is bigger than them, and very vigilant. One must have been very hungry, and able to hide well in the tree. He flew down and attacked one of my hens. I heard a lot of commotion and ran outside. What I saw was awesome. My rooster was on top and the hawk was attempting to escape. When he finally got free, the injured hawk stumbled up to a tree and eventually flew away. My hen and rooster didn't have a scratch on them. I don't know if he died, or learned his lesson, but I haven't seen him in a few weeks. I'm proud of my big guy, who's been enjoying extra treats for his good work.
:celebrateWhat an awesome boy!

You (and in this case your rooster) are in the right to kill any and all predators that are threatening you or your livestock. That includes feral cats & dogs.

I totally believe you on his size.
The lines may be very different, but our English Orp is a monster (why we named him Clifford 😅). We still need to weigh him. He's the sweetest bird I've ever met.
But it's clear to me that the genetics are back there for Orpingtons to get some size.

Back
Top Bottom