Rooster went hoarse, now comb is turning black

onemotherslove

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 30, 2009
North Central Texas
My rooster is about 2 years old and usually healthy with a very loud crow. A few days ago I thought it sounded like he was losing his voice, and it continues until he sounds very muted in everything he does. Then last night I noticed his comb was starting to turn blackish. I've been raising chickens four years and never seen anything like this. Please help! Is it contagious to my hens or other birds? (Ducks, guinea, goose) TIA

Is he drinking and eating normally? A lack of oxygen to his heart could cause the dark comb, either a result of a heart problem, or a respiratory problem. Aspergillosis from mold can cause that, as well as other respiratory diseases. Do you see any nasal or eye drainage, sneezing, or rattly breathing? I would make sure he is drinking enough fluids, and add some electrolytes with vitamins. If you have other roosters, I would keep him safe in a crate with food and water, in the coop where he can see the other birds, but not be attacked. Make aure you have good overhead air circulation, and prevent dusty or wet conditions.

Combs can turn black toward the back in some roosters with larger than normal combs. That can be fairly normal and may get red when he is less stressed. I would keep my eye on him, but if he is acting normal, it may,get better when it is warm. He could be horse from environmental causes,msuch as cold weather wet weather, or changes. Is he a bantam? It sounds like it.

Back
Top Bottom