Rooster wheezing and hoarse/squeaky crow. Treatment?

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
My beloved Liege rooster has unfortunately come down with what I'm guessing is some type of respiratory infection. I noticed yesterday morning that he was making a wheezing sound when he breathed, and later that day he started to lose his crow and it became very hoarse and squeaky. He seems normal otherwise, still active and mating the hens and eating/drinking. Although when I picked him up I noticed he felt slightly thin, so I've started giving a mix of hardboiled eggs, plain yogurt, and baby parrot formula with some other things mixed in. I also gave him some of the baby parrot formula orally to make sure he was getting it.

I won't be able to get to the feed store until tomorrow for antibiotics, so for the past two days I've been giving him vet rx and colloidal silver orally and putting it on his nostrils about three times a day. I also put a few drops of the colloidal silver and the vet rx in his waterer so he would be drinking it throughout the day. After one day of this treatment I think I noticed his wheezing becoming slightly quieter, but I'm not totally sure.

From what I've read this is some type of respiratory infection and he needs antibiotics, but I don't know which kind would be the best to get. I've seen people talking about tylan a lot, but can that be given orally? I'm not comfortable doing an injection. I've also seen mentions of terramycin and duramycin, but everyone seems to disagree about what works.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I'm really trying to think of anything else I can do here.

I had a bunch of cockerels like that once, I put them in a place with more airflow and they got better.

My beloved Liege rooster has unfortunately come down with what I'm guessing is some type of respiratory infection. I noticed yesterday morning that he was making a wheezing sound when he breathed, and later that day he started to lose his crow and it became very hoarse and squeaky. He seems normal otherwise, still active and mating the hens and eating/drinking. Although when I picked him up I noticed he felt slightly thin, so I've started giving a mix of hardboiled eggs, plain yogurt, and baby parrot formula with some other things mixed in. I also gave him some of the baby parrot formula orally to make sure he was getting it.

I won't be able to get to the feed store until tomorrow for antibiotics, so for the past two days I've been giving him vet rx and colloidal silver orally and putting it on his nostrils about three times a day. I also put a few drops of the colloidal silver and the vet rx in his waterer so he would be drinking it throughout the day. After one day of this treatment I think I noticed his wheezing becoming slightly quieter, but I'm not totally sure.

From what I've read this is some type of respiratory infection and he needs antibiotics, but I don't know which kind would be the best to get. I've seen people talking about tylan a lot, but can that be given orally? I'm not comfortable doing an injection. I've also seen mentions of terramycin and duramycin, but everyone seems to disagree about what works.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I'm really trying to think of anything else I can do here.
It could possibly be coccidiosis. I had some birds that had those same symptoms and I ran corbid 20% powder in their drinking water for 3-5 days and they cleared up quickly. I could see hear the improvement within 36 hours. You can get the powder at tractor supply and mix one half teaspoon into one gallon of water and give this mixture for 3-5 days for treatment and then like once a month for prevention. This info may be printed on the bag I'm not sure but always follow manufacturer recommendations. Hope this helps cheers

my rooster is also doing this. it's been stressful with pecking order lately and I've been keeping 3 of them in my pole barn for the nights and letting them roam in the day after the other girls and alpha rooster are in the run
I think the stress of it all lowered his immune system. I've been giving him vetrx with some warmed honey and a few drops of coconut oil, as I think the vet Rx is a bit harsh
waiting on antibiotics, usually have colloidal silver but I've been out. please share how your roo is doing. I also think the pollen here in NJ has been insane and might be an influence

one more thing, I was thinking pollen as he does have a significant wheeze as well and no one else is affected.

Tylan 50 give .5 cc injection x 3 days and separate. I would recommend Tylosin liquid in the water for the remaining flock, because it is an airborne illness. No doubt somebody else will come up with it also. Treat them times seven days. You can buy powder Tylosin online

Back
Top Bottom