Rooster with a blacked comb after a fight. Does it need medicine?

orelsi

Songster
5 Years
Jan 17, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am attaching pictures of my rooster, here is the basic info:

He is very friendly to people and allows to be petted at any time. About two weeks ago he jumped the fence and got into a fight with the neighbour's rooster. The other rooster lost and was severely injured (had to be put down) while mine had wounds only on the wattle and combs, a lot of them, but they presented as singular spots not as a whole area (like in the pics). The wounds healed up quickly, so I did not treat them with anything. I was away for about 10 days and when I came back there were several brown-black spots on the back of the comb and wattles plus a large spot on the front of the comb (pics). The spots are browner in real life than in the pics.

The rooster is 1 year old, very healthy otherwise, has not lost weight. There is no smell coming from the comb and no puss or other liquids. No change in behavior. There are no other injuries and no other birds affected. He keeps his normal eating and drinking habits.

I guess there is a chance this could be related to the cold as well, but the birds stay inside the coop when the weather is coldest. I have to conclude it's related to the fight, but it looks like several large patches now while the wounds were many, but separated immediately after the fight. Is it possible this is some kind of infection or bacteria that has infected the wounds and is spreading? I plan to buy an anti-bacterial ointment and apply it over the comb and wattles.

Any help or tips appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20190117_141844.jpg
    IMG_20190117_141844.jpg
    869.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20190117_141852.jpg
    IMG_20190117_141852.jpg
    832.8 KB · Views: 26
Also, forgot to add, that he had wounds ALL OVER the comb and wattles and as you can see from the pics all of them have healed except these large patches.

Thanks ;) I have been lurking for many years, but never felt a need to post. Reading others' discussions has always been enough.

I agree with @sourland, that it looks like frostbite. Can you post pictures of your coop? How many birds are in the coop at night and what type of litter do you use? How cold is it where you are?
You can update your profile information to include your location (general, no one is asking for your address or anything :p) as getting a general idea of where you are in the world helps with advice.

Unfortunately I cannot take pictures of the coop anymore, but it's a standard enclosure with wooden planks and hay on the floor. There are between 10 and 20 birds, depends on their choice since they have a couple coops available and they move between them at will.

It gets up to -15 possibly -20 celsius at night during the coldest January/February.

None of the other birds have ever had frostbite. Is it because he has the biggest comb? I imagine that would play a part.

We applied some vaseline on the areas per these instructions https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-and-chickens.67020/

Unfortunately I cannot take pictures of the coop anymore, but it's a standard enclosure with wooden planks and hay on the floor. There are between 10 and 20 birds, depends on their choice since they have a couple coops available and they move between them at will.

It gets up to -15 possibly -20 celsius at night during the coldest January/February.

None of the other birds have ever had frostbite. Is it because he has the biggest comb? I imagine that would play a part.
Do all the coops have lots of ventilation and draft free roosting?
It could very well be that his comb is larger and more vulnerable. Is this guy partial to any particular one of your coops? As long as you have lots of ventilation and a roost area where the wind will not blow on the birds, he should be okay.
Keep an eye on the blackened areas of the comb to watch for infection but leave them alone and let them resolve on their own. Those areas will protect the tissue beneath them from further damage.

Back
Top Bottom