1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster with a Cold?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by misscrazy24, Apr 24, 2011.

1. misscrazy24

misscrazy24 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Mississauga
    So my most babies are gone now. Only Chip and My pet roooster-Dog remain.

A bit a go - Chip got a cold where he sort of started sneezing and coughing!! So i put him in a warmer area - his eating habits are fine and put some potassium permanganate in his water he seems to be recovering - HOWEVER - my ROOSTER (who is 2 years) is now sneezing and hiccuping. He's constantly randomly making these weird gurgling noises ...okay SO i'm going to try to organize this a bit more:

Symptopms:
    - coughing
    - hiccuping
    - sore throat....constant sort of gurgle..

I think he caught it from Chip!! - I'm worried; could my budgies/parrots potentially catch it?! And Chip isn't so worrisome - but Clucky is our pet dog - so we're really worried about him!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

We've isolated him - he's a picky eater so he wont eat anything properly - just random seeeds =/

HELP pleaaaaaaase!!

2. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    misscrazy,first im sorry you are having these troubles.second,chickens dont get colds,they get respitory problems.i wouldnt think your dog could catch it,but your budgies may.keep them as far away as possible.try treating with an antibiotic in their water.also understand if they are suffering from a resp. problem they cannot be cured.they will become carriers.my flock is closed for this reason.they were exposed to it.i treat when needed and go on.i hope this helps you out...

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:x 2. You can give your chickens tylan 50 injectable orally. Dosage is 1/2cc for a standard size chicken once a day x 7 days. Keep in mind if what they have is a viral disease, antibiotics wont help.

4. misscrazy24

Apr 1, 2011
    Mississauga
    Hi thank you for the replies!

Sorry - I dont have a dog. lol My rooster is like my dog. He doesn't live outside - he lives inside w/ us and thinks...he's a dog. This includes sitting on sofa's/watching tv/snuggling etc...
    I'm not worried about him being a carrier b/c he's genetically dead >_>. He thinks he's human so hens don't interest him.

I will look into what I can do - any suggestions on what i can feed him? He's a very very very picky eater and he's losing energy!

Thank you again! (i will look into the antibiotics)

5. misscrazy24

Apr 1, 2011
    Mississauga
  6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:The problem is that he will be a carrier of this illness and he can infect any new birds that your bring into your home. I would mix up some eggs and yogurt that might help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by