1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster with a "mohawk"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mr. Frizzles Hen House, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Mr. Frizzles Hen House Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    Does any one know why my roosters neck is naked? He is a frizzle and had nice looking feathers covering his neck that curled around to his face like a main. In the last two weeks, all the feathers on the side are gone except on the back of his neck. Just like a Mohawk. I caught one hen plucking at him on two occasions. I don't know if she's doing it because the last feathers are just kinda sticking out, or if she's done this to him. Or do roosters molt? The rest of his feathers look normal, and he's not bleeding or anything. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like you are going to get rid of the feather picker or isolate her away from the roo.

3. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    So, do you think that's what's happening? Is that normal for a hen to pick at a roo? He's a very mild mannered little guy, and the hen I saw is a sweety, but she's an Americana and quite a bit bigger than him. My other Americana must be his favorite because I've noticed the base of her tail feathers getting torn up. A saddle maybe in order, don't know. Could there social dynamics be out of wack or something? Could there be another reason he's loosing the feathers?

4. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    Anymore advice out there on this issue? There's another thread in the injury section about this same thing. Others need help too:)

5. freddy22

freddy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Illinois
    i would deff. say that the hen pecking at the roo is a good possibility especially if she is higher in the pecking order.....i have had some mild mannered roos and some dominant hens took advantage of it....

6. Mr. Frizzles Hen House

Oct 9, 2008
    Seabeck, Washington
    So, what's the best course of action to keep the peace? I don't want to get rid of any of them.

7. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I got pinless peepers for my meanies!!! I figure it was either the peepers or the crock pot! so far its working on the big girls. no pecking each other any more! I even got the most eggs today I have gotten in 3 weeks. 3. I am hoping that they all start to lay better since they are not stressing out about getting thier bums pecked

8. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    Hi, I was the one who posted about featherless neck in the disease section. I never got an answer so I tried again with photos today (What's wrong with these hens (photos)?). One person suggests this as molting.

Also if it is not molting, I'm already trying to enlarge their run (it got reduced by the snow and winter), feed them fruits and veges especially greens, sunflower seeds, and I'm thinking of adding to their protein somehow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by