Rooster with a pecked head and neck

Dee the Feather

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2020
Oxfordshire, England
Hello all, wondering if you experienced folks out there can help me again.. our rooster Dennis in the last 4 - 5 days has had a very scraggy neck and is generally out of sorts. I thought he might have impacted crop so looked into that; then possibly lice (am still looking into that one) but today I saw our head chicken Louise actually pecking his neck... Also he seems to have lost ground in the yard and is no longer standing proudly centre stage. I read that hens can get jealous of the rooster giving all attention to another hen? Or is she maybe pecking lice or mites off him? It can't go on though as he is losing a lot of quills.... any advice gratefully received.

Could be either one... tonight after he is on the roost check him for lice. If you see anything on him treat all of the flock and clean the coop and treat it also..
If it is pecking for no other reason other than to peck you may want to separate them.

Also pictures can always help us help you..

Hello MVan2 and Mrs K. thank you for your responses. These are single pecks so I don't think she is preening him. Could it have started with picking his lice but now she's got a taste for it? She has actually made little wounds. Here he is. I have put Louise in a separate pen and left him with the flock. I must say that I could not see any lice on him last night when I went down with a torch and haven't noticed any of the other birds looking sorry for themselves. I put a saddle on the other big hen, Thelma, about a week ago and Dennis' problems seem to stem from around that time. I will go and treat his pecks and give him some more diatom tonight as I couldn't catch him this morn. Any other thoughts? How long should I keep his pecking lady Louise separate?? Thank you for your help!!!

Attachments

• 20201025_072514.jpg
    20201025_072514.jpg
    723.3 KB · Views: 17
some more diatom tonight
What is this...and why?

How old is this bird, in months....and the ones pecking him?
Any other males around?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

Oh, and.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1603633760174.png

Hi there Aaart, Dennis is about 1 year old I think (he was found in a park so not sure of exact age), there are some male pullets, much smaller, the two flocks don't interact much... I have only seen Louise peck him twice to be fair. Do you think he's just moulting?

Looks like moulting to me. Birds are vulnerable when moulting and sometimes hide away a bit until they get their mojo back.

If the hen has pecked wounds, then she will carry on as the blood and scabs attract her. Good idea to separate her for a while.

Hi there Aaart, Dennis is about 1 year old I think (he was found in a park so not sure of exact age), there are some male pullets, much smaller, the two flocks don't interact much... I have only seen Louise peck him twice to be fair. Do you think he's just moulting?
Maybe, hard to say....look for pin feathers.
I have had birds pick each others face/neck feathers, including the cocks.

What is that diatom stuff you mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom