Rooster with a white eye

Thanks so much for the replies all of you by the way! I'm very grateful to have a place to get answers so quickly.

If it came out, I'm sure he'll be fine.
Pictures would still help. Try to get pictures of the eye area, even if they are not the best quality.
Thank you! If it was any other bird it would be so much easier cause all the others can be handled. This one runs away at the sight of me. :) If a next time, I'll try to get photos though.

Glad that the pus or plaque came out on it’s own. Does he have any symptoms of a respiratory or sinus infection (sneeze, cough, head shaking, gasping, lethargy, or noisy breathing?) Pecks to the eye can also cause eye infection. In Norway can you get antibiotic eye ointment over the counter? Here, we use either Terramycin eye ointment which is oxytetracycline. We also can use plain Neosporin which is neomycin, polymixin B, and bacitracin. Ideally, something like ciprofloxacin eye drops would be good as well.

Glad that the pus or plaque came out on it’s own. Does he have any symptoms of a respiratory or sinus infection (sneeze, cough, head shaking, gasping, lethargy, or noisy breathing?) Pecks to the eye can also cause eye infection. In Norway can you get antibiotic eye ointment over the counter? Here, we use either Terramycin eye ointment which is oxytetracycline. We also can use plain Neosporin which is neomycin, polymixin B, and bacitracin. Ideally, something like ciprofloxacin eye drops would be good as well.
I haven't noticed anything wrong with him otherwise. He is low in the pecking order so he might have been pecked in the eye. I'll keep an eye on him though. We can't get any sort of antibiotic over the counter here or anything much really. It's very strict. Which is why calling the vet on him, and we don't even have a local vet so any meds would have to be sent by boat, seems excessive for a rooster that I should have butchered anyway. I've kept him alive since he doesn't cause any stress with the hens as he mostly keeps to himself. I've tried to stock up on any meds that are available for chickens to have on hand just in case, but it is very limited.

Back
Top Bottom