Rooster with an Attitude

Momtofive86

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Here recently twice when I have gone into our chickens run I have had our rooster come at me. The first time I could tell he was going to fly up at me and I deflected him with my foot. He came right back at me and I booted him good and he backed down.
Today I went into the run after giving him and his 10 girls some watermelon and he came after me again. He would not back off no matter how hard I smacked him with my foot. I was trying to get to the door to get out and he was determined to not let me go anywhere. Quite frankly it frightened me a bit because he was NOT backing down. My son heard me yelling and came in with a broom and smacked him a couple good ones.
My question is this...could the color I was wearing either time have set him off? I was wearing a bright pink shirt. We had had no interaction, I did not go after any of the girls, pretty much had just ignored them while I finished what I was doing in there. I am really not liking this turn of events and I am nervous now about letting either of my grandsons go in there. These chickens are treated extremely well, no one ever teases them or abuses them. I am just very puzzled.

Here recently twice when I have gone into our chickens run I have had our rooster come at me. The first time I could tell he was going to fly up at me and I deflected him with my foot. He came right back at me and I booted him good and he backed down.
Today I went into the run after giving him and his 10 girls some watermelon and he came after me again. He would not back off no matter how hard I smacked him with my foot. I was trying to get to the door to get out and he was determined to not let me go anywhere. Quite frankly it frightened me a bit because he was NOT backing down. My son heard me yelling and came in with a broom and smacked him a couple good ones.
My question is this...could the color I was wearing either time have set him off? I was wearing a bright pink shirt. We had had no interaction, I did not go after any of the girls, pretty much had just ignored them while I finished what I was doing in there. I am really not liking this turn of events and I am nervous now about letting either of my grandsons go in there. These chickens are treated extremely well, no one ever teases them or abuses them. I am just very puzzled.
Haven't ever heard of colors triggering roosters, you are doing the right thing by trying to impose yourself though and not just running away. Roosters that attack usually do it because they see you as a rooster and therefore want to determine the pecking order; he wants to be the boss. Shouting at him, chasing him before he gets a chance to and holding him down to the ground ( don't hurt him in doing so ) while yelling at him are ways you can "win" the fight. Hopefully he will then just accept you as the "dominant rooster" and leave you alone.
If not, he may need rehoming, some roosters never back down...
Good luck !

Soup him or rehome him.
Did you pet or cuddle him as a chick? Sometimes hormones turn them mean.
We have always given our hens and roosters a lot of attention. I do the feeding and watering and often take my coffee in there in the morning and hang out. Whenever anyone comes near his territory he hops up on
a roost and crows at us.

We have always given our hens and roosters a lot of attention. I do the feeding and watering and often take my coffee in there in the morning and hang out. Whenever anyone comes near his territory he hops up on
a roost and crows at us.
That great for hens but unfortunately, sometimes in roosters, they lose their respect of people and see you as an equal that needs to be conquered.

:idunno Sounds like a really bad situation for both you and the rooster. I have never had a rooster in my egg laying flock, so I can't help with my personal experience. I know most other chicken owners around here that have a rooster that is willing to attack them get rid of that rooster as fast as they can. You never can turn your back to that rooster, or, God forbid, he attacks a child. The classic chicken flogging you hear about is when they go to the face with their spurs, especially when you are not watching out for them and a potential attack.

Years ago, I did raise some meat chickens and I would get chickens flying at me when I brought out food for the day. Of course, the meat birds were only about 8-10 weeks old, but it still can hurt to have any chicken flying into you.

I am quite happy with all my egg laying girls. They mostly run away from me, except my ISA Brown who jumps up on the ledge and wants me to pet her. Well, maybe more like she is looking for a treat if she sees me. Who knows what goes on in the mind of a chicken? :lau

how old is he?
and when did you get him?
there are three things you can do:

#1: you could try showing him your boss the way i found worked best when i had a mean rooster is pretty much putting one hand on his back and pin him, and the other one you put your fingers in a v shape and yous them to pin his head to the ground and hold him like this for close to a minute

#2: you cold try selling him or giving him to some one who knows how to stop it

#3 you could cull him its that simple but not every one wants to do this

Introduce him to a another rooster get that mater thumped a few times then he know who his foe is .Then again if hens are near and broody he may just be calling himself protecting them If not just call him pastry.Be done with it.Cheers

Back
Top Bottom