Rooster with bad foot injury. Need help!

And I have searched bumble foot threads and havent been able to find any info on how many time daily to give the penicillin. Just says give 1cc til better.

There's been lots of work on his foot, so maybe he's in pain. Have you tried scrambled eggs? For pain you can crush a baby asprin for him. My polish would eat eggs but wouldn't touch anything else

No I havent tried the eggs. But I will go scrabble some now and try that. I will have to go to the store to get some baby asprin. All I have here are 80mg. Thank you so much for all of your advise! I greatly appreciate it!
smile.png
I hope I can get him to eat something soon!

I was also advised to give .5mls poly vi sol, without iron, daily 400 ius vitamin E twice daily. Try to pick it up when you get the baby aspirin... It may help

I dealt with a very similar problem in a silkie hen, I agree that irrigating the wound and soaking daily in a warm epsom salt bath works wonders, it draws out a lot of infection and is relaxing for the bird also. non pain relieving neosporin on the wound is what I used and changed the bandages daily. she was almost fully healed without antibiotics in 2 weeks so your a step ahead with the penicillin. I hope he feels better soon. A frozen veggie mix in a bag, cooked in the microwave and mashed a bit was a fav along with the scrambled eggs.

Penicillin is typically given one dose a day for three days, but double-check that you're not using long-acting penicillin (it'll say LA on the bottle if it's long-acting). If it's long-acting, you only need to give him one shot every three days, and read the label for dosage. Just don't underdose him, as doing so will just breed bacterial resistance. Although, tetracycline may've been a better choice, considering it's a staph infection. I usually reserve penicillin for respiratory infections and use tetracyclines or other antibiotics for everything else.

A good choice to help dry out the wound and draw out infection and moisture is copper sulphate used as a poultice; it's commonly used in hoof abscesses and works really well. I hope he gets better soon; the wound looks pretty bad, but it sounds like you're being a very good vet for him, and that you're doing all the right things. Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom