Rooster With Badly Infected Wound! UPDATE: Spice died last night :*(

Do you have any electrolyte solution or vitamins to put in water? You can try dipping your finger in the water and putting it at the end of his beak, he should take it in. I would soak a few times a day and at least try to get him to take in some sugar water, something. But at least the epsom is doing what it is supposed to do.

You need to get all the cheesy pus out See if you can get your mom to take you to the pharmacy or vet for an irrigating syringe--the tip is curved and narrows to a fine point. At a vet, it will probably cost less than a dollar. At a pharmacy, it may cost more. Irrigation syringes do not use a needle. Use the epsom salts or betadine solution and thoroughly irrigate hte wound. This means filling the syringe and squirting as far into the wound and any cracks or crevasses as possible. Do this over and over again as long as you are getting some of the cheesy pus to come out. You may end up reflling the syringe with fresh solution 10 or twenty times and squirting it into the wound. Do this twice daily.

Gatorade works great for electrolytes; pedialyte is even better.

i do have electrolytes/vitamins. i'll try pressing on the wound to sqeeze the pus out. i don't want to hurt him, but i guess i have to. he'll feel better later because of it. i have a recipe somewhere of stuff that's supposed to boost a chicken's energy, if i can dig it up i'll try that too.

Sonoran is right..you need to get it all out. We had a cat that had an abscess on his neck. I drained it, it healed, 2 weeks later it came back..I drained it again..this time squeezing the heck out of it even though he hated me...I used iodine in water and flushed it over and over again then bag balmed it....it has to be all out. I had a sore on the back of my knee once, same thing...if it isn't all out, it will just continue to fester.

What your roo has is called bumblefoot, but they can get that anywhere. One of my chickens had it on her head when she caught it somewhere. What happens with chickens is they encapsulate their infection, and it gets a core with a hard scab on it. You MUST get that core out, or it will not heal. By the way, be very careful, 'cause that "pus" is staph. Google bubmlefoot, and you will see lots of pics.

it's not bumblefoot. that's caused when a chickens is kept on hard, dirty woodchips. the chips cut the foot and allow a bacteria called staphylococcus aureus to get in, causing bumblefoot. the scab is black with a sort of plug deep inside the foot. believe me, i know what bumblefoot is, and this is not it. there was no plug and the scab was not black and he is kept on soft shavings, not woodchips and in a well maintained and clean coop. bumblefoot also does not cause the whole limb to swell up.

when i went to check on him his eyes were closed and his breathing was heavy and rough. i'm going to go give him some sugar water and electrolytes/vitamins.

Quote:
Sorry to disagree, but that pic with the black scab is bumblefoot. I know as well what it is. I've had two chickens with it. Anywhere they get a cut, even a puncture wound from a nail, or as I stated that my one hen had it on her head, they can get bumblefoot. Staph is EVERYWHERE in chicken's environment. JMO

Back
Top Bottom