Rooster with broken leg

Luke82

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2022
I picked up a rooster with a pretty bad looking broken leg but I’m not sure how to tell if he can live with it or if he will need care. He moves and can move pretty quickly so I’m not sure if this is an old break that healed this way or if it is fixable.

Attachments

• 7441FE9C-0B2A-461B-ABF7-B70F596C5C5F.jpeg
    7441FE9C-0B2A-461B-ABF7-B70F596C5C5F.jpeg
    707.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 7740FC6F-491B-4FA2-9D4F-F735C3B77C64.jpeg
    7740FC6F-491B-4FA2-9D4F-F735C3B77C64.jpeg
    576.1 KB · Views: 11
Do you have other chickens? Walking on the hock with curled under toes could be an early sign of Mareks disease, a riboflavin (vitamin B2 deficiency) or a leg injury. How old is he? Are you certain his leg is injured? Does he ever walk on both of his hocks? I would be nervous if Mareks was a possibility. If you keep him, I would give him 1/2 tablet daily of human superB complex vitamins, crushed into a small bit of food or a spoonful of water.

If you've already been doing that, then they've already been exposed. Might want to check how Marek's spreads, but my understanding is it spreads through dander and feather dust at least. It is very hard to quarantine a chicken, but yeah, don't let him or his dander anywhere near your other chickens until you know what's going on. I think a vet can test for this also. The link below tells more.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/bookmark
It’s only been here about an hour, I don’t have a way to get him to the vet or anything anytime soon so now I’m worried like crazy

Have you been able to catch him yet and check if it's actually broken or injured? Here we use a bath towel, and two people. Catch poles can also be used if you're careful to hook his other leg.

Take things a step at a time, and see where you are. Sending supportive thoughts!
I haven’t inspected it

Yes I do have others, he does walk with curled toes. not sure on the age, he does crow and is bigger than a young rooster. He walks with one foot and uses the toes and hock of the other.
Do you have other chickens? Walking on the hock with curled under toes could be an early sign of Mareks disease, a riboflavin (vitamin B2 deficiency) or a leg injury. How old is he? Are you certain his leg is injured? Does he ever walk on both of his hocks? I would be nervous if Mareks was a possibility. If you keep him, I would give him 1/2 tablet daily of human superB complex vitamins, crushed into a small bit of food or a spoonful of water.
His toes are straighter than I originally thought

Yes I do have others, he does walk with curled toes. not sure on the age, he does crow and is bigger than a young rooster. He walks with one foot and uses the toes and hock of the other.

May take a month or more of giving him the B vitamins to see results. At least, that was the case when I gave mine in the water.

Cornish cross sometimes have a genetic hock issue where they get so big so quickly they stop being able to stand up, and sit on their hocks all day (means its time to process them). But that doesn't sound like what's happening here, and you don't see that in any other breed, from what I know about it.

May take a month or more of giving him the B vitamins to see results. At least, that was the case when I gave mine in the water.

Cornish cross sometimes have a genetic hock issue where they get so big so quickly they stop being able to stand up, and sit on their hocks all day (means its time to process them). But that doesn't sound like what's happening here, and you don't see that in any other breed, from what I know about it.
Is it a bad idea to keep him with my other chickens if the mareks is a possibility

Back
Top Bottom