Rooster with Bulging Eye

Lilorp14

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2014
VA
Hello all, I have a rooster who has a very large and bulging eye. I just noticed it today and I was wondering if you all could help me identify the problem. Hes in with 2 other roosters and about 20 hens, I'm working on getting more for them but it's taking a while. They have started fighting in the last month or so, but its never been more than a few scratches on their combs. He is 9 months old (same with his bros). I am not sure if it's an injury or a disease because it seems like it's only his eyeball that's swollen and that the eyelid and face are not. Let me know what you all think and I'll try to get some better pics as well. Thanks.

Attachments

• Resized952021042195154139.jpg
    Resized952021042195154139.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 75
  • Resized952021042195154134.jpg
    Resized952021042195154134.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 14
Although I am not an expert, if you have roosters and they are fighting, which they WILL do often, it might be an injury, he might have had his eye scratched. Id recommend quarantine if you can, for a few days to see what happens, if it heals, if it gets worse, in which case it might be some bugaboo you'll need to take care of all of them for. Either way if he's hurt he's more susceptible to being picked on. Keeping him separate will give him time to heal properly.

Are you able to grab him and take a real good look at it, to see if maybe you can see any scratches (corneal abrasion) or maybe there's some crap in his eye? If it's puffy, is it pussy too? sign of infection, etc.

aaron

Although I am not an expert, if you have roosters and they are fighting, which they WILL do often, it might be an injury, he might have had his eye scratched. Id recommend quarantine if you can, for a few days to see what happens, if it heals, if it gets worse, in which case it might be some bugaboo you'll need to take care of all of them for. Either way if he's hurt he's more susceptible to being picked on. Keeping him separate will give him time to heal properly.

Are you able to grab him and take a real good look at it, to see if maybe you can see any scratches (corneal abrasion) or maybe there's some crap in his eye? If it's puffy, is it pussy too? sign of infection, etc.

aaron
From what I could tell it wasnt oozing anything, and I didnt see any pus, dirt, or foam. The eye looked cloudy, but when I looked at it in the light it almost had blood inside near and behind the iris if that makes sense. Hes seperated now and I'm watching to see what hes doing

If the eye is cloudy, he may have had an injury to it and is now blind in that eye. A good scratch or puncture from a claw could do that. Im thinking a severe blunt force injury, think punching him in the face, could cause ruptures and like what you see too.

Hopefully he gets better but being isolated is the best thing for now until you are sure what his issue is and what will need to be done with it. Please keep us informed on him.

Thanks
Aaron

I don’t see any signs of drainage from the eye or the sinus area which would indicate infection or illness.

Can his eyelid close or is it remaining open?

Chickens have internal eyelids underneath the outer eyelids. If he has debris like dirt or small grass seed or even lint under the inner lids or between the outer and inner lids, these can cause irritation that would cause swelling.
If his inner lid was scratched in a fight, there would be some swelling with evidence of a little blood.

An ocular lubricating ointment for eyes would be helpful. Even a wetting solution for contact lenses but NOT Lysine. Mineral oil could be used in a pinch.

Gently apply a drop near the back corner of the eye and gently roll your finger tip forward on the eyelid to distribute the liquid. Do not use pressure in case it is debris. You don’t want to scratch anything just float out what may be there.
Then slide your wet finger along the bottom lid to the back of the eye. Use a damp tissue to gently wipe off the excess and perhaps any bits of debris.
Repeat again then let him rest.

Back
Top Bottom