Rooster with chicks- good idea?

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
Hi y’all!

I have my 19 chicks outside in a tractor that is in my chicken run. I have a Bielefelder rooster from that flock that is very gentle and I put him in with the chicks. Is this a good idea? The rooster is 6 months old and the chicks are 6 weeks old.

I also have an EE rooster who is at the top of the pecking order who is pretty gentle with the ladies as well. Which rooster would be best?

The Bielefelder is lower in the pecking order. I think some hens may be above him in the pecking order.

Why are you putting a rooster in with them in the first place? Is your goal for him to protect them or something?

Oh, I didn’t mention my goal. I was wondering if having a rooster live with them for a few weeks would make the transition to the flock any smoother and if he would protect them when I integrate them.
Interesting idea, but seeing as you already have the chicken tractor in the chicken run where presumably your other chickens can see the chicks and get used to them without hurting them, I wouldn't think adding the rooster in with them adds a benefit.

I've added chicks to my flocks with roosters, & they protected, & fed the babies.

Maran, he's my big baby rooster, I told him to baby sit my youngsters, & he did so.

With all roosters given the job to baby sit, some may get abit frustrated if given the job too many times in one year. Signs of frustration are pecking, & chasing the babies/youngsters off.

Some roosters aren't great daddies, & or won't tolerate babies/youngsters, & will bully them.

Every rooster is an individual, & will react differently in certain situations.

Back
Top Bottom