Rooster with Crooked / Broken Tail

I'm switching to geese and quail.
byc dark cloud.gif

Wry tails do happen. It's genetic but it doesn't just show up out of nowhere. You notice it more as the tail fills in. Should not breed that bird if you believe it's wry tail.

Could it happen from hawk attack? Why not. Hawks hit with such force they are liable to break anything on the bird. I had a cockerel survive a hawk attack this year. Almost culled him to put out of misery but he seemed determined to carry on. Let him be though he never fully was right there after. When culling the flock numbers this fall realized his should was completely dislocated. Must have caused him pain constantly and felt bad about not taking him out immediately after the incident. Just an example of random permanent damage a hawk's swooping strike can do. It's quite possible your boy broke lower spine and healed.

His eyes look bright and healthy to me. Not sure what people think they are seeing.

Wry tails do happen. It's genetic but it doesn't just show up out of nowhere. You notice it more as the tail fills in. Should not breed that bird if you believe it's wry tail.

Could it happen from hawk attack? Why not. Hawks hit with such force they are liable to break anything on the bird. I had a cockerel survive a hawk attack this year. Almost culled him to put out of misery but he seemed determined to carry on. Let him be though he never fully was right there after. When culling the flock numbers this fall realized his should was completely dislocated. Must have caused him pain constantly and felt bad about not taking him out immediately after the incident. Just an example of random permanent damage a hawk's swooping strike can do. It's quite possible your boy broke lower spine and healed.

His eyes look bright and healthy to me. Not sure what people think they are seeing.

Thank you for your response! A dislocated shoulder?! :eek: Chickens can be remarkably tough.
I'll try to feel around his spine to see if anything feels different or if he responds like he's uncomfortable. I'll definitely be keeping a closer eye on all of them but they do seem healthy overall for now. I was actually really surprised at how quickly and easily they cruised through fowl pox too, considering it was the first time I've ever dealt with it in my flock, so they must be fairly healthy.

Back
Top Bottom