Rooster with injured eye

CartierChicken

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I introduced 4 more chickens and a 5 month old rooster to my bunch. My other rooster is 1 1/2 years old, but he does not handle the hens. I rescued him from a farm that had to other roosters. He was at the bottom of the pecking order, and even the hens picked on him. Because of this, I believe he just does not have the confidence to lead the hens. So the new rooster took over right away. Brallon, my original rooster, submitted, but would then try to challenge the new rooster over and over. Finally I had to bring Brallon into the house, but the next day he was accepted back into the coop and slept there with no problems. However, the next morning he was picked on, so he finally ended up on the other side of the property the whole day. I was keeping an eye out to make sure the new rooster did not go too far. I was told it could take a week before things settle down.

So I go over to make sure Brallon is getting enough water, when I notice he is bleeding from his comb. Chuck, the new rooster, must have gotten to him. But then I notice his eye is injured, and black looking. The yellow colour is gone, but it does not look like the eye socket is empty. Brallon is a very timid bird. He was not tame when I got him. He was warmed up a bit, especially since the new rooster came. So now I have him back inside, but he gets too stressed if I try to treat him. I see a little wiggly insect/worm on his eye. His eye is crusted over now. I really want to treat him, but he gets too stress. She I just force it on him anyways?

Also, I think I need to rehouse him. I don't think Chuck is going to accept him as a beta any longer. Brallon is like a gentle giant, he is a Brahma. I bulk at the thought of putting him down. How can I tend to his wounds without causing him so much stress? Should I wrap him snuggle in a towel and cover the other eye? I don't even now if I can get antibiotics here without seeing a vet. I am in Sweden, and meds like that are not something you just get in the store. I am feeding him yoghurt.

I think Brallon got picked on by the other roosters or it has gotten a disease. Poor Brallon
sad.png

Oh, he was surely attack by the other rooster, although I don't know why. Brallon has submitted time and time again, so I know he was not showing to be a threat. I am hoping to try and tend to him soon. I am letting him have another nap.

Well I wrapped him in a big robe and brought him into the bathroom. I had a whole table set up with all the tools and supplies I would need to use. I I had syringe with saline solution, and lots of q-tips and cotton ball. I used neosporin for all the wounds but his eye. He was so stressed. We sang to him and tried to make him relax. His eye area was so sensitive and he really hated it all. At one point I decided it was all just too much for him, so I brought him back to my washroom. When I opened up the robe, so he could walk out of it, he just stayed there and put his head down. He is breathing with his mouth open, so I think he is soon to die
sad.png

I feel so guilty bringing on a new rooster. I must say, however, they hens are happier then I have ever seen them. They just seem so much happier and less stressed. They get to cross the garden and dig up new grounds, where as Brollan was too afraid to go anywhere too far from the coop. Chuck, the new rooster, fliers up onto things to have a better look over everything. He does not let his girls stay off. So I really needed this in a rooster, it just sucks that Brallon could not fit into this:( I'm really having terrible guilt right now.

He actually had some food a few hours ago. I finally got him to sit on some rugs. He kept standing in the corner, facing it, like he was in trouble and not worthy. My heart breaks for him. He is just so sweet and gentle. When I talk sweetly to him, he does jarble back a bit, but he acts like I am mad at him.

Tomorrow I want to give him more yoghurt. Will it make it better to put honey in it? I have apple vinegar in his water. I am trying to give him meal worms, but he won't take them from me. And would it help if I used antibiotics I have for myself on him?

I have had the same thing happen to my roo. The eye was still there but you could not see it because of the inflammation and pus. It is extremely important that you treat quickly. My boy lost most of the site in the injured eye because I didn't treat quickly enough. You need to wash the eye with saline solution a couple of times a day. Polysporin is safe to apply directly to the eye. Give him electrolytes (Gatoraid is great if you ca get it there, the sugar gives energy and stimulates appetite) and scrambled egg mixed with yogurt (you can put his feed in there too) for a protein boost.

Your roo will probably not walk around much for a while. Mine took a coule of weeks to adjust to his change in vision. You will probably notice balance issues and difficulty pecking a target. Spoon feed him if he is having trouble eating.

My rooster recovered well despite the vision loss and is functioning just as he was before. I took about a month to get there though.

Edited to add: Your rooster is not feeling "unworthy". That is a human emotion. Your rooster is feeling ill/hurt. You are going to have to treat his injury even if he doesn't want you to if you want him to recover.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom