injured rooster

chucken3000

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2024
my rooster is about a year old. he was fine until he started limping at about 7 weeks old. it gets worse during the winter, we've been giving them vitamins in their water since he started limping and he hasnt ever gotten better. we tried to get a new rooster but it turned out a hen, so we have to keep the injured one.

we arent going to take him to the vet or anything and there is no visible injury. what do yall recommend i do to help him? i thought about killing him but we need a rooster. is there any medicine i could buy to help him? should i make him a splint? thanks any advice is helpful.

Is the limp pretty bad currently?

I had a hen who injured her leg - we put a popsicle stick splint on it for a couple days, but it didn't do much. Fast-forward a year later, and her limp is gone. Weird. Out of all my leghorns, she's the last one standing!

Is the limp pretty bad currently?

I had a hen who injured her leg - we put a popsicle stick splint on it for a couple days, but it didn't do much. Fast-forward a year later, and her limp is gone. Weird. Out of all my leghorns, she's the last one standing!
its pretty bad like very obvious but its been like this for 10 months so would anything i do help at this point? its not getting worse or better

Oh dear. I'm not sure what you can do. What sort of vitamins do you feed him?

What about extra calcium, do help fix the bone?

Tagging someone to help ya out.

@Wyorp Rock
thanks! i think they are vitamin D and C but i would have to check. really thought he would recover but didnt see what i could do

Also had a hen who couldn't walk and just sat around all day. I mixed crushed calcium with yogurt and feed to make a mash. Then I fed it to her, in the hopes that the calcium would strengthen her bones. It worked after 3 days, and she is fine now.

However, I don't know if calcium would work in this situation. Sorry I can't help out more.

Also had a hen who couldn't walk and just sat around all day. I mixed crushed calcium with yogurt and feed to make a mash. Then I fed it to her, in the hopes that the calcium would strengthen her bones. It worked after 3 days, and she is fine now.

However, I don't know if calcium would work in this situation. Sorry I can't help out more.
thank you so much ill definitely try calcium! how much do you recommend i give him or for how many days?

my rooster is about a year old. he was fine until he started limping at about 7 weeks old. it gets worse during the winter, we've been giving them vitamins in their water since he started limping and he hasnt ever gotten better. we tried to get a new rooster but it turned out a hen, so we have to keep the injured one.

we arent going to take him to the vet or anything and there is no visible injury. what do yall recommend i do to help him? i thought about killing him but we need a rooster. is there any medicine i could buy to help him? should i make him a splint? thanks any advice is helpful.

its pretty bad like very obvious but its been like this for 10 months so would anything i do help at this point? its not getting worse or better
I wouldn't give a rooster extra Calcium, they don't need it.

If he's been limping for 10 months and he's not better/worse, can get around, eats/drinks/mates, etc. then I would just continue on caring for him like you have been.

I know calcium for roosters over an extended period isn't good, is it still not good for a week or so?
Calcium is not going to help limping that has been going on for 10months. And I would not give a rooster extra calcium. There's already Calcium in poultry feed.

Perhaps when you gave your HEN Calcium and her limping improved, it was because she needed to lay an egg (egg pressing on the sciatic nerve).

Riboflavin(B2) can be given, that is what is used for leg support. Giving a full grown rooster 1/4-1/2 tablet B-Complex for a couple of weeks won't hurt, BUT the OP has already stated 👇👇👇 That's a long time to be giving extra vitamins - if they haven't helped by now, they won't.
we've been giving them vitamins in their water since he started limping and he hasnt ever gotten better.

Back
Top Bottom