Rooster with issues

Maidservant

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Nosey, my RIR roo is the alpha roo in my flock, keeping all of the males away from his girls, as well as protecting them. He has no problem with myself or my mom going out and working with the hens. The problem arises when my fiance or dad goes outside. If they come off of the carport and Nosey is out, he will flog them! I don't want to send him to the stockpot, but if he doesn't stop that's where he will go. How do you get a roo to stop flogging certain people? He has just started doing this, and I want to put a stop to it asap so he doesn't think it's ok to keep doing it.

Thanks,
Emily in NC

My Andalusian cock scares the life out of my BF. He doesn't do anything threatening when I'm out there, even if my BF is there too. Obviously, someone is pulling my leg. I think my BF overreacted a little, but I don't doubt that Carmine made some threatening gestures. He's not yet flogging anyone. I told my BF to just pick him up and carry him around for a minute, it works for me. He opted for just staying out of the coop.

I wish it were as simple as staying out of the coop, but they are in an open topped pen and Nosey flies out once in a while. It isn't often that he flies out though. I also let them out in the late afternoon to free range for a little while.

I had the same problem but much more severe. I had to cull my boy. I was new and did not know how to handle a bad roo.

Try this link. It is a great article.

http://shilala.homestead.com/roosters.html

Good luck!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom