Rooster with lesion-looking burns/bruising on feet and legs

heatherdevito1

Chirping
Jan 21, 2021
Please help! Has anyone seen this? My Rooster is under the care of a vet for several issues. He had coccidia, but that's been treated, and he had some worms, which has also been treated. He recently went completely lame and is unable to walk. I came home from getting supplies to build him a wheelchair and noticed bruises/lesions/blisters on his legs and foot. Only appears to be on the one leg and foot. They look like all of that but aren't really quite any of them. I sent pics to the vet, and posting here, as well. He's had a third dose of antibiotic from the vet a few days ago and a steroid. Just want to give you his background. I'm waiting to hear from the vet, but I'd also like community feedback, please.

Attachments

• IMG_20210225_170524698.jpg
    IMG_20210225_170524698.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210225_170442570.jpg
    IMG_20210225_170442570.jpg
    455.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210225_170025506.jpg
    IMG_20210225_170025506.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 15
I am not sure. any new updates? might want to clip his nails
Yes. I gave him a bath last night because he's been unable to properly preen and was in need of a good cleaning. After being soaked in warm water, everything disappeared except the one spot that looks like a burn. We have no idea where he could have gotten burned, but we dressed it and wrapped it.

He and one of my hens have been house chickens since the end of the summer due to an injury. They couldn't be with the flock and by the time they were better, they didn't have the chance to acclimate to the cold so we kept them inside with us until spring. I'm thinking that's why his nails are long and I greatly appreciate the suggestion of clipping them. I didn't realize I could/should do that like I do with my other animals.

Can you tell me, please? Do I just carefully clip a little to make them manageable? What length is appropriate to keep them? Do they have nerves to be cautious of like dogs and cats?

Thanks very much!

Chickens have a "quick" just like humans and if you look closely you should be able to see where the blood vessels end in the nails. Make sure the nails are clean and you can clip a little at a time if you want. You don't want to clip them so much that they start to bleed, but if they do you can use corn starch to stop the bleeding quickly. If you have dogs/cats it's basically just like that, you don't want to go too deep.

Chickens have a "quick" just like humans and if you look closely you should be able to see where the blood vessels end in the nails. Make sure the nails are clean and you can clip a little at a time if you want. You don't want to clip them so much that they start to bleed, but if they do you can use corn starch to stop the bleeding quickly. If you have dogs/cats it's basically just like that, you don't want to go too deep.
Thank you so much! I do have both dogs and cats, so I'm quite familiar with the quick. I will trim their nails today and I thank you again for noticing. 😊

I've had both dogs and cats and I have a rooster in need of a beak trim soon because of an injury last summer, so I can empathize. Hope you can get it taken care of and hope your guy can heal up completely from his ailments!

He recently went completely lame and is unable to walk.
What is his current age and feed routine including treats and supplements?

What did you treat for coccidiosis with and was it verified with a fecal float? Coccidia are normal- osis means too many in this case.

What was the injury that happened?

Has your vet discussed Marek's disease with you or the other questions about nutrition already? Has he discussed prognosis or outcomes?

Sorry you face this!

Many make a sling instead of a wheel chair..
View attachment 2546074
View attachment 2546075

His beak might also use a little trim like his nails. Putting a brick or other hard object near by to wipe beak might help.

Hang in there, tender hearted chicken friend. :fl

I've had both dogs and cats and I have a rooster in need of a beak trim soon because of an injury last summer, so I can empathize. Hope you can get it taken care of and hope your guy can heal up completely from his ailments!
Thanks! I got them down a bit. Their beaks are also getting long but with all the nerve endings in their beaks, I don't dare have it trimmed. Even my vet said it's really very painful and shouldn't be done. Her office won't trim a break. What I did instead is, I took a block of wood and wrapped it with some medium grit sand paper because Q-Tip is always rubbing her beak back and forth on the rug. Now sh can scrape her beak back and forth on the block and gently he nd it to where she's comfortable. They sell them in the pet store but making one is simple and it's a great alternate to clipping. Just a suggestion.

As far as Einstein goes, he's doing much better today and I just finished his new wheels for him to get around while he recoups. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20210226_135726168.jpg
    IMG_20210226_135726168.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom