Rooster with really bad leg!

ChewBokBok

Chirping
Aug 18, 2021
MN
I have a 6 month old golden laced wyandotte rooster with a really bad limp, he is hopping on one leg when he tries to run. He is also falling down when he tries to stand still i have found him a few times sitting down on his tail. He has had this about a week. There is no swelling, cuts, scrapes or anything out of the ordinary which is very odd. Please help! Thanks.

I have had this happen before. If you can’t feel any broken bones or swelling, he may have sprained something deep inside the tissue, or pulled a muscle maybe? When one of my hens was limping badly I separated her and after a month or so she healed up just fine. She had a slight limp for awhile but nothing like it was. I never figured out what caused it. I assumed a torn muscle. Chickens have a crazy way of healing, from completely broken bones to torn muscles. Maybe separate him and see how it goes. Hopefully whatever is casing his bad limp and lameness can heal with rest and time. A vet is always an option but that is expensive and I normally don’t take mine. Hope he starts to improve soon!

Can you post a short video of him walking, and download it to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here? A picture of him standing from the front might also help. Have his legs always looked straight with no problems? It is possible that he has a sprain or injury, but I would watch to see if his leg feels paralyzed or if the toes curl under. Mareks disease can show symptoms at that age, but hopefully, it is an injury. Leg bone deformities where the leg is turned out or bowed in or out, also could be possible.

I tried to take a picture of his front but he wouldn't sit up. I already checked but it seems like he is having trouble with his leg then his foot.It wont let me send a link to the video but i hope these help. Thanks.
20210928_182252.jpg
20210928_182238.jpg

He is a handsome boy.

I am reading this looking for help for my black copper marans rooster. Same thing with him; the photo of his stance is the same. He was fine yesterday morning and last night was limping. He is still limping this morning.

How is your boy? Did you get any good advice or do any medical treatment, either yourself of with a vet?

I didn't I am afraid it was Mareks, i think and unfortunately he didn't get better. How long has he had this? And is he vaccinated for Mareks do you know? How old is he? I would separate him since you don't really know what it is yet. https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.c...disease-and-how-to-not-lose-40-of-your-flock/
It might just be a torn ligament and he is standing like that because he can't find balance any other way. I really hope this helps. Hope he gets better soon.

I didn't I am afraid it was Mareks, i think and unfortunately he didn't get better. How long has he had this? And is he vaccinated for Mareks do you know? How old is he? I would separate him since you don't really know what it is yet. https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.c...disease-and-how-to-not-lose-40-of-your-flock/
It might just be a torn ligament and he is standing like that because he can't find balance any other way. I really hope this helps. Hope he gets better soon.
I am sorry to read about your boy.

Mine is 3.5 months old. He was vaccinated for Mareks by the breeder.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will set up an isolation area for him tonight.

Back
Top Bottom