Rooster with White Spots? Fungus Infection? Molting?

Kaiser Fertilizer

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2022
SE indiana
Hi, my rooster and my other hens are exactly one year old. And I've asked about several health conditions that people have told me are signs of molt. A few lost feathers, a few "jelly eggs", pale hen legs, pale eggs, and less eggs this past week or so since they laid jelly eggs. of course, the fact that they are on year old. But I've noticed some other things that I'm worried may be a disease, or more specifically a fungal infection.

My rooster is acting and eating normal, but he has a white spot on his comb, along with something that looked like a tiny yellowish scab? There are also perfectly circular tiny black dots and a darkening gradient towards a few tips of his comb. I tried cleaning all this off with dish soap and a paper towel application, but it seems like it came back. However, it does mostly come off when I do clean it. I've provided some pictures, but they're not great so I will get more tomorrow.

I've also noticed the rear-ends of one or two of my hens is not as fluffy and the feathers are more like sticks, but it's not super severe looking. In fact, I didn't think it was a problem until I heard of something called vent gleet? I sadly don't have picture for this yet, but like with the rooster I will post them in this thread tomorrow.

Here is some extra background information on their conditions:
I have 7 road island reds, 6 hens, one rooster. A few of my hens have damaged backs due to overrating, and the worst damaged ones are wearing hen aprons. There was originally 9 chickens but two died, one to a (outside run) dog attack and one to a (inside run) racoon. As I said they are exactly 1 year old as of today. They have a very very small coop, with ventilation I need to improve (it has ventilation in the nesting box, on the sides, but little on the roof). I also plan on expanding the coop entirely asap. They have what I think is an adequately sized run, around 10x7 feet. They have slept on the roof since the beginning of summer, but when I was afraid of predators (before drastically improving the run) I kept them inside, which was probably too hot. I now let them sleep on the roof, although one or two will tolerate sleeping inside (some dedicated egg layers). I hope some of this information is useful.

Attachments

• white 2.png
    white 2.png
    211 KB · Views: 25
  • white .png
    white .png
    232.4 KB · Views: 10
  • rooster white.png
    rooster white.png
    176.6 KB · Views: 10
It might be the start of Favus, a fungal disease much like ringworm. IF it is Favus, it is contagious to other birds and possibly yourself. Treatment is miconazole cream, apply as needed until it's completely cleared up. Wear disposable gloves while applying the cream.

Back
Top Bottom