Rooster with wounded leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by allison3456, Nov 17, 2010.

1. allison3456

allison3456 New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    I have a rhode island red rooster who was recently attacked by a raccoon. He had a horrible wound on his leg but it is now healing well. However, today I found an abscess on his good leg. I have been keeping him inside in a cage due to the fact that he still has an open wound on his leg. I was using pine chips as bedding to keep him more comfortable, but I have a feeling they may have caused the abscess. I have the kind of water dish that hooks to the side of the cage so it is not on the ground, but sometimes he spills it and the wood chips get wet and stick to him. The abscess was underneath some hardened woodchips that were stuck to his feathers, caked with pus. I have a feeling that one could have gotten lodged into his skin and infected. I have tried just using flat newspaper but he seems very uncomfortable with that and i hear him moving around a lot at night. With the wood chips he seemed much more comfortable. He is also unable to perch due to his injuries. I am now using shredded newspaper. As far as I can tell, it seems to be helping. I have never had chickens (or birds, for that matter!) before so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what else I can do to keep him more comfortable.
    Ps he has been to the vet and is now on his second round of antibiotics (for the new injury) and I am flushing it with chlorhexidine solution. they recommended surgery and x-rays but all I can afford is the antibiotics, seeing as I have already paid for the major surgery on his other leg.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

Shredded paper is fine for bedding. If he is in a small space, I used to use crushed corn cob's for bedding in my hospital cages. It's kind of expensive, but tolerable if you are not using a huge amount every day. I also have used old, ratty towels shaped into a nest-like shape for a rest area in the hospital cage. It keeps them comfortable and propped up a bit so they don't have to hold themselves up.

It sounds like you are doing very well by him. He is lucky to have such a great owner. I hope he recovers soon.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by