1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster won't leave one hen alone

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I introduced a Spitz a few weeks ago into my mixed flock. At the time I had a roo and a cockerel. The cockerel didn't bother anyone while pops was around.
    Pops was re-homed and so now there is only the one cockerel. Understandably, he has been working out the kinks as he's now the one and only. However,
    he WILL NOT leave this one hen alone. He chases her around to the point where she is doing her best to hide all day. Up until today I never saw him mate
    her, but he did today. Once he jumped off of her he started to chase her. She does have a scab on the side of her face, probably due to a struggle. She ran
    into the service area this morning to get away from him so I just left her there to chill for a while.

My question: Do you think he'll eventually leave her alone or is this something that most likely won't stop?

2. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    I've been wondering the same question. My roo hasn't mated with all the hens though, maybe 2 others. He leaves them alone but constantly chases the ONE, she won't come out of the coop anymore.[​IMG] I'll be interested to hear the answers though.

3. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    My rooster has a "favorite" hen too, poor thing. I'm sure she would rather not be his favorite. I see him going after some of the other girls too, but not as much as poor Gabby. The feathers on her back are gone, luckily theres no cuts. I just ordered 4 chicken aprons. (I got 4 so she wouldn't be the only hen wearing one.)
    I have 24 hens, so you'd think he could spread the love around more, but he definately goes after a chosen several more than any others. I guess maybe it has to do with their place in the pecking order? Or, some of the hens are just to bossy and mean, and are not going to "put out" so easily. Apparently, he prefers the easy girls. [​IMG]

4. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm curious to see replies cause I have this same thing happening with my faverolle being "loved" too much by a brahma roo. I was kinda hoping there was something I could do to make her unattractive to him.

5. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    As I with my poor Silkie Hen and Rhode Island Rock Roo.

6. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

give her and another hen a confined area for a while. I had a few garage refugees for near 2 weeks until I got rid of my extra food. I had one in particular that was so bad at mating that he hurt my docile little Gabrielle hen and took all the top feathers out of my little silkies head. 2 of the garage refugees have finally realised its safe to go outside and on of those has returned to the coop on her own.
    From what I understand, they will take likings to certain hens and I am sure it can feel like harassment to them if my girls are any indication.

or you could remove the roo for awhile. Maybe separate him out with a few older hens that will teach him manners...

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Unlike the rest of your stories, this hen IS NOT his favorite. He treats his favorite quite well. He acts like he has it out for this one.
    She's now confined in the garage because after letting them out to free range I found her with a bloodied ear and the side of her face
    swollen. I know he did it because his leg had blood on it. I'm mad at myself because I just gave his dad away thinking he was the
    better of the two. Now I think I blew it....kept the wrong one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by