Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by poultrymama, Jul 28, 2016.

1. poultrymama

poultrymama Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    So I hatched 10 out of 12 eggs two days ago. I have one lovley chick whose behavior seems like a cockerel to me. It's really funny actually. He walks taller than the rest and for no reason throughout the day he leans back and flaps his wings and peeps loud enough to hear through my house. What do you think?

2. starriskyy

starriskyy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2014
    Hard to tell...I had a chick that was taller, tail feathers grew in late and acted completely different than my little pullet, and turned out to be a female. lol BUT, anything is possible.

3. poultrymama

poultrymama Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    Ha! It's just funny. The chick isn't much taller than it's twin but it keeps it's neck straight up when walking between other chicks. I might band that one just to see if my suspicions are right. It's so funny thinking he might be feeling his masculinity 48 hours from hatch.

4. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    [​IMG]

Here's our baby I knew was a boy from the start. He always stood a lot taller than everyone else with his chest puffed out. I called him Little Boy Blue and I was right. But then again I had two cochin bantams I could've sworn were boys but they are gorgeous, super friendly, fearless little pullets. I'd stick a band on your chick and just see if your gut feeling is correct. It's always fun to see.

5. poultrymama

poultrymama Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    I think I'll head to tractor supply in the morning and get some bands. If it's a female she's sure a funny one.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    It's too young to tell

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    JaeG your little fellow looked like a tough guy even back then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by