Rooster

NAMBY

Hatching
May 9, 2021
I have about 25 hens and 1 rooster. I was thinking about adding another rooster. Problem is I only want genetics from one of my roosters. Is there something I can do to prevent the second rooster from breeding any hens but whilst keeping all the benefits of a second rooster?

I have about 25 hens and 1 rooster. I was thinking about adding another rooster. Problem is I only want genetics from one of my roosters. Is there something I can do to prevent the second rooster from breeding any hens but whilst keeping all the benefits of a second rooster?
Two coops, two runs, two flocks.

If you're not looking for fertilization, what kind of benefits are you looking for from an extra rooster?
We have a HUGE hawk problem. 3 red tail hawks have decided to make themselves comfy at our place. Red tail hawks are a protected species in missouri. Our rooster has been doing a good job, but we have been presented by the opportunity to have his son in the flock. As come summer comes foxes. We also have a huge problem with them. Our rooster is a liege fighter and it quite large. This is why we want to keep the son but take out his breeding capability’s. The son is a Rhode Island Red Cross.

We have a HUGE hawk problem. 3 red tail hawks have decided to make themselves comfy at our place. Red tail hawks are a protected species in missouri. Our rooster has been doing a good job, but we have been presented by the opportunity to have his son in the flock. As come summer comes foxes. We also have a huge problem with them. Our rooster is a liege fighter and it quite large. This is why we want to keep the son but take out his breeding capability’s. The son is a Rhode Island Red Cross.
I see. I'm a bit skeptical about roosters protective abilities in general. They can be good at sounding the alarm so that all the ladies dive for cover but as far as actually fighting off predators, the predators will just eat them first.
As far as your original question goes, to my knowledge, if the rooster is with some hens and he decides he wants to mate, there's nothing to do to stop him. The only thing you could do is have him penned separately, which wouldn't work for the purposes you want him for.

Back
Top Bottom