Rooster

Cattattitude

Chirping
Jul 26, 2021
Why does my rooster sit in the nesting box continuously. He will not come out to free range, or eat. I removed him when I found in nesting box, and he raised cane ran out the fence until he could get back in nesting box. I would not care but I have not received any eggs, and my hen would usually lay everyday. I must note I have several hens and two roosters just in case it is important to his behavior.

Could be if something has changed, because he was the dominant rooster. I can’t watch them 24hrs so I don’t know. Thanks for your response.

Could be if something has changed, because he was the dominant rooster. I can’t watch them 24hrs so I don’t know. Thanks for your response.
It sounds as if the second rooster has deposed him. That would very well account for the behavior. Make sure that he is getting enough to eat and drink. How much space do they have? Are they free ranged?

They have a house that will hold about 16 chickens, and a large area for daytime. I do allow them to free range in afternoon for couple of hours.

Hi, welcome from Louisiana. Glad you joined the forum.

I have not received any eggs, and my hen would usually lay everyday. I must note I have several hens and two roosters just in case it is important to his behavior.
What Sourland said could very easily be right, it does sound like a deposed rooster. But that doesn't explain the lack of eggs. What is going on there?

You say "hen" (singular) as if it is only one but you say you have several hens? How many normally lay and how many days has it been without eggs? How old are the boys and how old are the girls? Are you north or south of the equator, your season may make a difference. Trying to figure this out.

Hi, welcome from Louisiana. Glad you joined the forum.

What Sourland said could very easily be right, it does sound like a deposed rooster. But that doesn't explain the lack of eggs. What is going on there?

You say "hen" (singular) as if it is only one but you say you have several hens? How many normally lay and how many days has it been without eggs? How old are the boys and how old are the girls? Are you north or south of the equator, your season may make a difference. Trying to figure this out.
Thank you for your response. Sorry I have several hens, but receiving one, sometimes two eggs a day in same box that rooster is in now. I’ve total of three nesting boxes, but the eggs are being laid in nesting box rooster is in, so I’m unsure which hen(s) are laying the eggs, but no eggs in other boxes yet. The hens I’ve raised from chicks, approximately four months old, The roosters where a gift so I’m not sure of their ages. I’m north of equator, NW Florida. The rooster I’m talking about seemed to be the dominant, the other is/was not I think because one of my hens, (large hen for meat) bullied this rooster to submission, but this (nesting box rooster) would not be bullied. I’m trying to think of everything, hope this helps.

Just knowing where you are helps eliminate some things. And now I understand they have not quit laying, with them that young most haven't started yet. That should happen soon.

It's pretty normal for all or most of the eggs to be in the same nest, that happens a lot. I've even seen as many as three hens in a nest together laying eggs at the same time. As strange as it may seem occasionally a rooster will even show a pullet or hen where a good nest might be. Their relationships can get pretty complicated.

It still sounds like one rooster has taken over as the dominant one from the other. That can happen at anytime, especially if there is a change. Perhaps the one finally grew up and matured to a level that he could take over. I don't know how that is going to work out. They may calm down and work together or one may wind up killing the other. You might want to watch that.

Just knowing where you are helps eliminate some things. And now I understand they have not quit laying, with them that young most haven't started yet. That should happen soon.

It's pretty normal for all or most of the eggs to be in the same nest, that happens a lot. I've even seen as many as three hens in a nest together laying eggs at the same time. As strange as it may seem occasionally a rooster will even show a pullet or hen where a good nest might be. Their relationships can get pretty complicated.

It still sounds like one rooster has taken over as the dominant one from the other. That can happen at anytime, especially if there is a change. Perhaps the one finally grew up and matured to a level that he could take over. I don't know how that is going to work out. They may calm down and work together or one may wind up killing the other. You might want to watch that.
Thank you. I’m trying to watch I have a baby monitor to listen for issues when I’m not outside. What happens if I try to put my bantam in with this flock ? Is it best to keep them separate?

Back
Top Bottom