Rooster

chickenlady720

Hatching
Nov 5, 2023
Hello, I have a rooster about 5 months now. He starting mating with my 3 older ladies, (about 7 months old) and he’s violent about it. One of the ladies won’t allow him to mate(she fights him every-time he tries, she still thinks she’s in charge since it was an all female flock for a while) He ended up making on of my older ladies bleed and now she is completely terrified of him. She hides behind me the whole time while I’m in their run and she won’t go into the coop with him at night. Is there something I can do to help my ladies out?? Should I get rid of my roo or will he calm down?

He might or might not improve: often it's better to have an adult rooster, and a larger flock, so the adolescent idiots get to be squelched as necessary.
You could separate him for weeks or months, and see if he'll be better later. I've never done this myself.
How much space do your birds have? How many pullets total?
Consider moving him on, and raising some straight run chicks in spring. You will have cockerels to watch, and hens to correct any overenthusiastic youngsters. Right now you have pullets, not hens, and there's a difference.
Mary
And Welcome!!!

He might or might not improve: often it's better to have an adult rooster, and a larger flock, so the adolescent idiots get to be squelched as necessary.
You could separate him for weeks or months, and see if he'll be better later. I've never done this myself.
How much space do your birds have? How many pullets total?
Consider moving him on, and raising some straight run chicks in spring. You will have cockerels to watch, and hens to correct any overenthusiastic youngsters. Right now you have pullets, not hens, and there's a difference.
Mary
And Welcome!!!
I have a run that’s approximately 20x20 feet. Currently only have 3 hens and 1 roo. I unfortunately lost 3 ladies to a Fox attack. I’m planning on adding more hens for my roo

Back
Top Bottom