Rooster

roger8johnson

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
Soo.. How do you know your rooster is aggressive? Should it jump and peck people who go into our back yard?
barnie.gif

I mean I don't know how tell.. There are 3 kids living with us now and they have visited before and he has never done it before but now whenever they go out there he jumps and charges at them.. Me.. I've been around him since he was a little chick and yesterday he did the same thing to me when I was taking our puppy out to go do his business
th.gif

I don't know.. can anyone help?

welcome-byc.gif
Try to nip this in the bud however you can. He needs to learn that all humans are dominant to him. His behavior will only worsen unless you intervene. An aggressive rooster can do serious damage to the face or eyes of a child.

How would I do that? I don't spend all the time in the world with him but how do I stop it? Anytime anyone goes back there who isn't the owner he gets all "aggressive" but whenever I talk to him he turns a blind side towards it... D;

I won't fool with mean roos, either, but some people have had great luck taming them. See this thread, esp. post #6.

Quote:
I agree nip this in the bud. The best way I found to do it is take his head off.

nip this in the bud? Uhm see.. i don't think he wants to do that.. he said it's a really good trait for a roo to have and he wants him being protective and said i haven't asserted my dominance but I was around when he was growing up... and the kids are only here temporarily and he said that it wouldn't be a problem because they don't live here permanently.. but does that mean everyone who comes in has to assert their dominance over a chicken?
idunno.gif

You must assert yourself in the pecking order above the roo. He thinks he's boss, he's gotta learn that you are, not him.

You mentioned you don't spend much time around the bird, neither do the children, this is probably the biggest reason the bird is showing aggressive behavior towards you. Perhaps you and the owner of the bird could spend time together with the rooster, because it sounds like his owner doesn't have an issue with this behavior. The more he gets to know you, the less threatening you seem to him and his flock, in theory this should eliminate the hostile behavior.

It sounds to me like this rooster is only doing what he naturally should do, protecting his flock from outsiders. I personally don't mind a rooster being a bit stand offish towards humans, as long as he isn't mean just to be mean. I feel like it's what he should do. I wouldn't want a roo that just stood around doing nothing whenever danger could be present. In the birds eyes the unknown people are exactly that.

IMO.

Quote:
I agree nip this in the bud. The best way I found to do it is take his head off.

nip this in the bud? Uhm see.. i don't think he wants to do that.. he said it's a really good trait for a roo to have and he wants him being protective and said i haven't asserted my dominance but I was around when he was growing up... and the kids are only here temporarily and he said that it wouldn't be a problem because they don't live here permanently.. but does that mean everyone who comes in has to assert their dominance over a chicken?
idunno.gif

I just don't want to live with the guilt of knowing I could have saved a child from possible scarring or blindness. For me it's the same with dogs, cats, and any other animal. My favorite Roo hit my Grandson and I sent him through the uprights. Seems now my other 2 Roos give me a wide berth.

Back
Top Bottom