Rooster?

bldmtnrider

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 7, 2011
Looks like a hen to me. But chickens make different kind of noises. If you have chickens before, you will know by the way it makes noise wheter it's crowing or some other kind of noise. All roosters crow in same manner. Voices may be different though.

I say at 3 months of age it definitely looks like you have a hen. An aggressive one. I had an aggressive hen and would push her away with a broom (not in a hurtful way) when she became aggressive. I then gave food to the other hens and stood there while they ate making sure the aggressive hen could not get near the other chickens. I did not starve her but more took away afternoon treats. She is so kind now and loves sharing afternoon treats without any aggressive action toward the other hens.

Also I suggest you look at info on the pecking order of chickens. I think you need to make sure your hens know that you as their keeper are on the top of the pecking order.

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping it was a just an agressive hen but wanted to be sure. I wonder if she is the one responsible for plucking all the feathers out her coop mates?

Shortly after taking the photos she decided to chase my dog around the back yard. So funny watching a hunting dog run away from a chicken.

So the follow up question is what is the best way to knock them down in the pecking order (if that is the case)? I still have a large brooder set up and I have heard that seperating them for a few days helps.

In the mean time I will keep an eye on her and make sure she is the agressor in the coop.

I hope you have the best of luck with your hens! Just remember that you are at the top of the pecking order. Once they all know that they all follow you around. It's kind of taking on the role of a rooster.

It takes patience and time to get them down from the pecking order. I think it takes a broom, not to hurt them in any way, to slowly show your power over the hen. When you have the chance I would spend as much time as you can chasing the chicken when it is behaving too rough. Maybe others will not agree with me but I have had an aggressive hen and she had to be taught that she is not at the top of the pecking order. I say a broom just since it gives more protection to the other hens, more of a barrier.

If you think she's feather picking, isolate her for a few days. Sometimes folks say just removing them from the rest "resets" the ranking. But remember, in a flock, someone's always got to be the boss (besides you) and someone's got to be the omega bird.

Back
Top Bottom