Rooster??

pamsmithtulsa

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Oklahoma
We have the sweetest Bantam Lavendar Ameraucana! Now the question is, is it a "he" or a "she". Always thought it was a Pullet but now beginning to think we have a little Roo. I swear sometimes "she" is trying to crow and now I see her tail feathers are getting longer, like a roosters tail.

Any thoughts? Sorry if the photos aren't to clear, they are the best I could get.

Thanks!

^ Agree. Definite, pronounced rooster feathering.

The long, spiked, downwards pointing feathers on either side of his rump are clear giveaways. If at any time you see their likes pop up on a hen, she's not a hen. Also, the two extra long and extra curved top tail feathers are showing his gender.

At this age he will also have rooster wing/shoulder feathers, which are the same U shape as a hen's but instead of being comprised of normal solid feather filaments, they have a solid feather V in the middle of the U, with the rest of the U outline made up of shiny, loose, fringed feathering. If that makes sense. I will post some closeups sometime on my profile of rooster VS hen/juvenile feathers so it's clearer.

The neck feathers are also at this stage going to be clearly rooster-style but like the rest of it, it takes a little experience before you will see the differences. Might be worthwhile to compare him to a known and proven hen, close-up, and check the different structures of their feathers.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I have only one other bantam and that is a cochin, the rest of my chickens are big chickens like Orpingtons, Easter Eggers, Rhode Island Reds and Polish. Since he is so tiny will he breed with these big girls?

My roosters would breed a feather duster if I left it where they could get at it, but feather dusters aren't very good layers so I wouldn't get any eggs for hatching. He will probably breed a big hen or at least try, but he might be to small to meet his mark...if you get my drift. You might end up with fertilized eggs, low rates of fertile eggs, or no fertile eggs, it depends. I had one bantam rooster who just gave my big hens bald spots and no fertile eggs.

Back
Top Bottom