rooster?

chick-lit

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 12, 2008
maine
I have six white plymouth rock hens but one of them I think is a rooster , at what age do they start to grow spurs? I 'm having a problem posting a picture my camera won't make a connection with the computer I'll keep working on it.... they are almost five month old.. Any info will help.. thanks

the comb looks like my hen , he looks taller than the others and he keeps getting on the back of my only laying hen and bitting the top of her head?? Not sure what they are doing so I thought it must be a rooster??

Sounds like he/she is trying to mate the hen...they will grab the hens head or the back of the neck to get on the hen. The hen will do a lot of complaining...at least mine do. Some hens will act like a roo if there is no roosters in the flock. You could have one of those. Any crowing yet? Although I have heard some hens even will crow if they are the head of the pecking order and there is no rooster.
hmm.png
If you can post pics someone here will be able to tell you at that age. Get a good side and front shot of the whole chicken when you can get your camera to work.

Thanks for the info. I will try to get some pictures, I haven't had any crowing yet but the back tail feathers look different than the others. maybe it is a hen that thinks it it a rooster??

Back
Top Bottom