rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chick-lit, Sep 27, 2008.

1. chick-lit

chick-lit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    maine
    I have six white plymouth rock hens but one of them I think is a rooster , at what age do they start to grow spurs? I 'm having a problem posting a picture my camera won't make a connection with the computer I'll keep working on it.... they are almost five month old.. Any info will help.. thanks

2. littlefarm_bighappy

littlefarm_bighappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    My rooster has 1/2 inch stubs (spurs) and he is a 6 month old easter egger. They are very pointy!

3. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    my spurs started at about 5 months but the best way to sex is by looking at the comb.

4. chick-lit

Sep 12, 2008
    maine
    the comb looks like my hen , he looks taller than the others and he keeps getting on the back of my only laying hen and bitting the top of her head?? Not sure what they are doing so I thought it must be a rooster??

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Sounds like he/she is trying to mate the hen...they will grab the hens head or the back of the neck to get on the hen. The hen will do a lot of complaining...at least mine do. Some hens will act like a roo if there is no roosters in the flock. You could have one of those. Any crowing yet? Although I have heard some hens even will crow if they are the head of the pecking order and there is no rooster. [​IMG] If you can post pics someone here will be able to tell you at that age. Get a good side and front shot of the whole chicken when you can get your camera to work.

6. chick-lit

Sep 12, 2008
    maine
    Thanks for the info. I will try to get some pictures, I haven't had any crowing yet but the back tail feathers look different than the others. maybe it is a hen that thinks it it a rooster??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by