Breed?

OFWGKTA

Chirping
Dec 27, 2023
This is my almost 2 week? Old chick, im trying to figure out the breed. all i know is that it is DEFINETLY a bantam mix since my only non-bantam rooster is a silkie (who has 5 toes). This chick is getting stripes on its wings, and has "eyebrows"..i dont have any rooster or hen with eyebrows but i DO have a barred plymouth rock, who is just barley old enough to lay, so i think that is most likely the mother. This is the only rooster i have that kind of has the similarities? Help pls!
20240207_192640.jpg
20240114_092712.jpg
20240207_192626.jpg

It is barred so one parent was barred. Is the barred rock the only possible parent that has barring? If so then that is the mother and that would also make that chick a male.

This is my almost 2 week? Old chick, im trying to figure out the breed. all i know is that it is DEFINETLY a bantam mix since my only non-bantam rooster is a silkie (who has 5 toes). This chick is getting stripes on its wings, and has "eyebrows"..i dont have any rooster or hen with eyebrows but i DO have a barred plymouth rock, who is just barley old enough to lay, so i think that is most likely the mother. This is the only rooster i have that kind of has the similarities? Help pls! View attachment 3742973View attachment 3742976View attachment 3742972
I'm going to say that the mother is most likely the barred rock hen you were talking about, because of the white spot on it's head and I see some barring on the new feathers. I suspect the white on it's face comes from the roo that you posted. Like Moonshiner said, it's most likely a male. Anyways, cute baby!

It is barred so one parent was barred. Is the barred rock the only possible parent that has barring? If so then that is the mother and that would also make that chick a male.

I'm going to say that the mother is most likely the barred rock hen you were talking about, because of the white spot on it's head and I see some barring on the new feathers. I suspect the white on it's face comes from the roo that you posted. Like Moonshiner said, it's most likely a male. Anyways, cute baby!
Thank you :)

yes, that is the only barred chicken i have. But i do have a question, how do you know that the chick will be a male by the pattern? 🤔 i would love to know more

Barring is a sex linked gene. With the females they only get a gene from their fathers and only pass it to their sons. Females either have the barred gene and pass it on or they don't have it and don't pass it on.
For males it's like any other gene. They get 2 copies. One from each parent and they pass one of the two genes to both sexes of offspring. If a female has the gene it shows. If a male has one or two copies of barring it shows.
If you don't have a rooster that shows barring (even barring on a different pattern besides black) then your roosters don't have the gene and can't pass it to their offspring. One exception is a white rooster. He could have it but it wouldn't show because of course white bars wouldn't show on a white bird.
Anyways if your only barred bird is female then she has the gene and would pass it to her son. No barred gene from a dad and hens don't pass sex linked gene to daughters so a female couldn't be barred and barred would have to be male.
So no other chickens with barring? Not even barring over another color or pattern? No white rooster?

Barring is a sex linked gene. With the females they only get a gene from their fathers and only pass it to their sons. Females either have the barred gene and pass it on or they don't have it and don't pass it on.
For males it's like any other gene. They get 2 copies. One from each parent and they pass one of the two genes to both sexes of offspring. If a female has the gene it shows. If a male has one or two copies of barring it shows.
If you don't have a rooster that shows barring (even barring on a different pattern besides black) then your roosters don't have the gene and can't pass it to their offspring. One exception is a white rooster. He could have it but it wouldn't show because of course white bars wouldn't show on a white bird.
Anyways if your only barred bird is female then she has the gene and would pass it to her son. No barred gene from a dad and hens don't pass sex linked gene to daughters so a female couldn't be barred and barred would have to be male.
So no other chickens with barring? Not even barring over another color or pattern? No white rooster?
I dont have any other barred chickens, i do have a white rooster but he is a pure silkie so doesnt have any barrings. But thank you so much! That is REALLY helpful, i will use this method from now on with my chicks :D

Back
Top Bottom