rooster .

nutey

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
Hi im new on this site. Need some advice .I have a peking bantam and a white sussex (these are hens) I was given 3 more hens about 6 wks ago they are about 6months old and I have heard in the morning that one is a rooster. They all sleep together in the same house. Do I need to separate the rooster from the other hens. Also i have a 1yr old muscovy duck , will the rooster attack her..

Welcome to BYC, I don't know if the rooster would attempt to breed the duck but, their personal parts are different. A drake breeding chicken hens can damage or even kill chickens because they are built differently than ducks.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Your rooster should mix okay with the hens, but I would suggest getting some more hens as the recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Too many roosters can be physically very rough on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially seriously injuring them. I currently have 25 hens and 1 rooster (a White Silkie that someone dumped on our property, and who I intend to re-home soon), and I get lots of eggs without all the aggression, fights, feeding of non-productive mouths, crowing in the middle of the night, and over-breeding and battering of the hens that goes along with having roosters (especially too many). My hens are stress free and seem to be enjoying life without any roosters around. As far as your rooster attacking your Muscovy goes, if it's a drake, it will likely be the other way around. A friend of mine has some Muscovy ducks and the drakes rule the roost, even running larger birds like geese and turkeys. Muscovy drakes are tough hombres. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with our flock.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I have no experience with keeping chickens and ducks together, so I can't advice or answer your question, but here is an article on housing them together that I think you may find interesting:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-keep-different-poultry-types-living-together-in-one-coop

Enjoy the site!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

X2 on Michael O'Shay's advice. It would be a good idea to get more hens, as a rooster can really make their lives miserable if he does't have enough of them or picks favorites.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I would certainly get some more hens to avoid overmating problems. X3 on Michael OShay's advice.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Definitely remove the duck. They can harm or even kill hens trying to mate them. As long as your rooster is getting along with the others, than there is no need to remove him. If he becomes aggressive with them or you, you may want to rehome him.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom