Roosterish hen

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
Hi all,

Our Crevecoeur is a mystery. When I first posted photos of her on here, most of you all thought she was a rooster because she's very upright and had more spiky feathers on her head compared to the other Crevecoeur, who had a more rounded head. She also acted like a rooster--very skittish, would freak out at nightfall trying to get everyone else in the coop before dark, and would do a strange crowing thing when she was younger. Now, as a hen, she's still extremely human-adverse (the most skittish, roosterish chicken we've ever had). She does lay eggs, but she will panic and fly around the coop if any human comes near her (we have some chickens that are human-avoidant, but don't lose it if we come near them). She is midrange on the pecking order, but also kind of a loner.

This morning though I caught her mounting our buff minorca. The minorca is also not fond of people, but is neither aggressive nor submissive with other chickens. None of our chickens are mean to each other, although some will give a peck when they're trying to hog food. These two were nowhere near food and they were free ranging this morning, so no territorial issues. We've had roosters in the past, so I know exactly what I was seeing (we don't have any roosters right now and this Crevecoeur has never been around one). There's nothing wrong with this behavior and I find it quite interesting, but I was wondering if anyone else has had a chicken that acts like this?

Attachments

• IMG_8895.jpeg
    IMG_8895.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 18
Mounting is not always about mating. It is often about dominance. I think that is what you are seeing.
Yes. My chicken who is above a cochin on the pecking order does the same thing. Bites and holds on and “gets on top” though its different from a rooster.

OP: Hens can crow. One of mine acts Roosterish aswell and is similar.

Oh yeah, hens will mount to prove they are boss. I just released my boss hen from the broody breaker and Lord have mercy she was jumping on everybody including the rooster. She even wanted a piece of me until I reminded her I was the boss of the flock. Once she reminded the flock she was the boss she calmed down.

Oh yeah, hens will mount to prove they are boss. I just released my boss hen from the broody breaker and Lord have mercy she was jumping on everybody including the rooster. She even wanted a piece of me until I reminded her I was the boss of the flock. Once she reminded the flock she was the boss she calmed down.
The rooster must be like “Hey wait! Thats my job! This is getting kinda weird.”

Oh yes! My oldest girl is a Plymouth Rock she mounts the other hens and the poor silkie mix Roo Lol (seen in my profile pick he's a beautiful little thing) she wont let the little roo up until he stops squawking Just to make sure they know who is in charge! I have noticed she most often mounts the Brahmas not sure if its because they are big hens but she needs to let them know I guess LOL the thing is they are the most dossel and have never tried to be the top of the pecking order

Back
Top Bottom